Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail Cams - Theft Deterrant?

A

andrew7633

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had some advice on the subject of preventing treestand theft. This spring, I bought some property west of Des Moines in Dallas county and had placed a stand out there (chained with padlock). I went out there last weekend, and someone had cut the chain and taken the stand and the screw in steps to get up to it. Now I'm afraid to put anymore stands up. Anyone ever used a camera to catch a potential thief? My fear is that they would see the flash and get the camera as well. It's so expensive to buy cameras and stands, so I'm looking for some advice. Thanks all!

We've had that same problem in Dallas County the last two years in the Redfield/Earlham area. Both times they cut our bike locks and stole both sets (4 total stands) and 40 climbing pegs... We just put up another set, but left the bottom 5 pegs out and carried them in our packs.

It's really too bad that you have to even ask the question.

Stealing another hunters equipment is a sad deal.

I took my first picture of a tresspasser on trail cam the other day.

Problem is, I don't know who it is?

They do make a cable that you can't cut with bolt cutters. Maybe someone can help with this information.

Finding an empty tree can really make your blood boil.
mad.gif

You could try turning the flash off and concealing the camera, maybe you can catch the thief on camera. I primarily use the Lone Wolf hang on stand now, I take it down every hunt (it only takes about 5mins to set up/take down).

[ QUOTE ]
I primarily use the Lone Wolf hang on stand now, I take it down every hunt (it only takes about 5mins to set up/take down).

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing alot of the same after someone walk through and took all of the screw in steps they found on my place.

I hate thieves, May god have mercy on the fool I catch stealing somebody else stand cause I won't

[ QUOTE ]
I took my first picture of a tresspasser on trail cam the other day.

Problem is, I don't know who it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew! I was only checking for a cooler...
wink.gif
evil.gif

I use the auger and bolt system so I can pull the "steps" out high enough so they cant reach.

Theft is part of the reason I'm afraid to invest in $400 trail cams. Around here some guys have lost a pile of both stands and cams...sad but true
frown.gif

They need to start installing gps tracking chips in tree stands and trailcams so the owner can track where they are at all time. Then if you know it's stolen by some redneck methheads, you can hire a bunch of thugs from 6th & clark to retrieve it for you.

I saw that they are making signs now that say "THIS PROPERTY IS UNDER 24 HOUR CAMERA SURVEILLANCE, NO TRESPASSING"! Might help deter some idiots who think they are being watched.

the worst part about it is that it's not a hunter who steals it,but it is a hunter who buys it.to buy stolen property is as bad as stealing it yourself.and don't give the line"i did not know it was stolen".your gut knows.

Sit by your stand with a 12ga. for the squirrel opener, when he climbs up your steps to take the stand say you thought he was a squirrel.

Seriously though, vman makes the infrared cams that don't flash, could try one of those

Climbing stand...take it in and out with you everytime you hunt. A hassle, but at least they can't steal it with you standing on it.

I have to agree with the climbing stand and/or Lone Wolf w/sticks argument.
1.) It isn't there to steal.
2.) If you take it with you, you are not going to show up some day to find someone in it (pity the fool!).
3.) If you are taking lower steps, you have to put them back in every visit which really doesn't save you any time compared to the Lone Wolf stand/stick set up.

Permanent stands also give away what you think is a good location. Why educate some clown?

Trail cams, total different problem. I saw on one website where they said to take down the serial number and report it to the manufacturer if stolen. Also, it said to place a sticker on the outside claiming that the cam was the property of the state DNR/local university and it was being used for wildlife census/research purposes. Stealing state property/interfering with research might stop 5% of thieves
frown.gif

I've had stands, a camera and a decoy stolen. When the decoy was stolen, I was out walking, just trying to warm up. I came back within an hour and my decoy, stand and steps were gone. I followed the guys tracks in the fresh snow back to the road where the getaway vehicle was. Good thing he got away because I probably would still be in jail. Since then, I've had about a half dozen stands stolen in a completely different spot (25 miles away). I've thought of putting up a decoy stand that I, or none of my hunting buddies would use. It would be high in the tree and the last few steps would be reamed out with a cordless drill so they would pull right out. I haven't actually done this for the fear of killing or crippling someone, instead of a friendly broken leg or arm. Any ideas? Maybe just ream out the step holes 10' up? I am so sick of these lowlifes stealing my stuff and tresspassing on posted private property I could puke.

[ QUOTE ]
Any ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ever watch "Raiders of the Lost Ark"? Remember the opening scene with the sharpened sticks. Nobody really misses a thief now do they.
smirk.gif

Maybe thats what that guy who supported his stand with red twine was thinking.Under ugly stands. I hope. Using it as a decoy. Someone is sure to break a leg there. I'm glad I don't have this problem. I leave stands out year long. We just have problems with people tresspassing during shotgun season, road hunting. I'll vote for reaming the holes out with a cordless. They deserve it.

It's gettin BAD!! I think i gotta pack heat going to the camera!! Look in the photo gallery i think i got a pitbull on film?? He could maul me !!!

doublerack - my land is in the exact same area as you(Earlham/Redfield area). I'm not from that area originally, so I don't know anyone out there. Are there some idiots in the area or what (obviously there are)? I've heard there are a couple big boys out in the area, so I was really excited about the upcoming archery season until this stuff.....I guess I'll have to take a few more preventative measures to kill my buck!
smile.gif

Wow! I never knew that this kind of problem could ever be this bad. I haven't heard of anything similar to this in years in S.E. MN. What a shame.

has anyone been out on there own land and found a stand that wasn't your own? did you take it down or wait to catch the trespasser?

Top Bottom