Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Thanks for all the great info guys! I have been following Dbltree's Corner for years now and I have spent countless hours reading all of the fantastic information he compiled for us. He is definitely one of my heros! I have been doing so much research lately I had to stop by one of my farms and pull a trail cam card... While I was there I took a hand saw and hinged trees until my arms were shot. I also took a look at some of the hinged trees from last winter and checked out all the browsing activity on the regrowth!

Does anyone recognize this type of tree? I have a bunch of pictures of does eating it, do you think it is because there isn't anything better around, or because it is a worth while tree? The reason I ask, is right around the bend about 30 yards is a food plot and there is a corn field within spitting distance...

Need some close ups on bark and leaves to know what you're talking about, I see a lot of trees there.

Hey all,

It has recently come to my attention that the IDNR has plans to close their tree nurseries.
That pisses me off. Should you agree. contact the state forester, Paul Tauke at 515-725-8450. Look up his email on the DNR website.

Hey all,

It has recently come to my attention that the IDNR has plans to close their tree nurseries.
That pisses me off. Should you agree. contact the state forester, Paul Tauke at 515-725-8450. Look up his email on the DNR website.

Do you mean the state nursery in Ames?

That is a bad deal, budget cuts?

I'm thinking maybe an elm tree pictured?

Anyone have any experience with deer foraging on mulberry trees?

They have been talking about closing the Ames nursery for well over 10 years. Every time the state needs money they look at all the valuable real estate the place occupies and talk about selling it. If they ever do, I would hope they re-open somewhere else on cheaper dirt. In the past they have sent out a message to customers to rally support when the threat was real & I haven't heard anything from them lately. Is there evidence it is really happening or is this just more talk? I drive by there daily and the seedling plots still look like business as usual.

tree tubes and shrubs

a quick question for all of you tree gurus. I am planting 100 wild plum and 100 black chokeberry shrubs .
how would you protect them tree tubes or other means or would you do anything at all. it is a low to medium deer density area more concerned about rabbits than anything. I have used miracle tubes on my tree planting but this is my first attempt at shrubs. that really does stink about the state forest nursery.
thanks for any help you can give!

This is real!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be participating on a conference call this morning with the Natural Resource Commisoners.

The phone number is: 866-685-1580 and then# 515-281-7122

Margo Underwood is the chair. Your thoughts are NEEDED

Keep your thoughts to 5 minutes is requested

This is real!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be participating on a conference call this morning with the Natural Resource Commisoners.

The phone number is: 866-685-1580 and then# 515-281-7122

Margo Underwood is the chair. Your thoughts are NEEDED

Keep your thoughts to 5 minutes is requested
Heads up to anyone jumping on the conference, I was just on and the comments from the public open at 10. I have a work meeting at 10 so I won't be able to respond but the above numbers do work and it is really easy to get called in and voice your opinion if you'd like!

a quick question for all of you tree gurus. I am planting 100 wild plum and 100 black chokeberry shrubs .
how would you protect them tree tubes or other means or would you do anything at all. it is a low to medium deer density area more concerned about rabbits than anything. I have used miracle tubes on my tree planting but this is my first attempt at shrubs. that really does stink about the state forest nursery.
thanks for any help you can give!

Here are some shrubs we planted on the edge of our farm, in a low deer density area. The deer really kept these browsed back and the bucks would tear them up in the fall. We did not protect them at all and here's what they look like after 6 yrs...
10947212_10100952402993943_6617432110082923071_n.jpg

You can see that the shrubs are now getting mature enough they're starting to send up 'sucker sprouts' a few feet away from the original plant. Eventually we hope this creates a big thicket for quail and rabbits

10352757_10100952403083763_5242197445467499928_n.jpg

Red osier dogwood, probably 4-5ft tall and really starting to fill out
10924708_10100952403148633_5165897013828417265_n.jpg

These get browsed really really hard. There's a big trail going betwee the rows of shrubs and the end red osier is browsed way down as you can see
10011365_10100952403358213_4243939786447429287_n.jpg

We plan on planting a LOT more shrubs in the future and we're going to protect them, at least for the first few years until the get some good roots developed under them. I plan on using 5ft blue Pro-tex tubes cut in half and then some 5ft wire cages as well. Then after a few years you can reuse the tubes and cages on the next shrubs. Seems like overkill but I've seen so many of our tree/shrub plantings fail that I try to protect them as much as possible.

Acorns??

This is probably a major shot in the dark, but if anyone has any DCO acorns they would be willing to part with or any other hybrid type white oak acorns I would be interested in buying some to plant in rootmaker cells this spring. The source I normally use in NE did not have a good production year this past fall so I was unable to get any from him. Just reaching out to see if anyone has some extras. Thanks!

my new tree planting toy :)
I have a traditional tree planter & I will continue to use that BUT, I have areas with VAST, TOO THICK trees growing in. Well, works perfectly with areas by road that are wide open very near by. Takes longer but not bad, pop those rascals out, move em along the road. I can screen plots, screen roads, move good trees to desired areas instead of dozing them, etc. I even put them in front of my deer blinds. can do 6-10' trees (diameter dictates usually) no problem. More than I need and speeds things up for me about 8-10 years. I get inpatient at this super old age of mid-30's. ;). Love this, not horribly expensive (ok, not cheap but compared to a lot of "farm type stuff", it's pretty low). Kinda my favorite combo for a one time investment that speeds things up, great for not having to kill trees, instant cover & screening and fast habitat creation.........

picture.php

my new tree planting toy :) I have a traditional tree planter & I will continue to use that BUT, I have areas with VAST, TOO THICK trees growing in. Well, works perfectly with areas by road that are wide open very near by. Takes longer but not bad, pop those rascals out, move em along the road. I can screen plots, screen roads, move good trees to desired areas instead of dozing them, etc. I even put them in front of my deer blinds. can do 6-10' trees (diameter dictates usually) no problem. More than I need and speeds things up for me about 8-10 years. I get inpatient at this super old age of mid-30's. ;). Love this, not horribly expensive (ok, not cheap but compared to a lot of "farm type stuff", it's pretty low). Kinda my favorite combo for a one time investment that speeds things up, great for not having to kill trees, instant cover & screening and fast habitat creation.........
I love friends with cool new toys!!!! That's an awesome piece of equipment!

Add something like that to my wishlist....after a dozer. Nice unit!

Certainly wish I could have moved the 60 cedar trees instead of cutting them in my CRP.

Top Bottom