Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Acorns to Oaks!

Thoughts on cone-tainers (not just regular containers, the narrow tubes w/ holes on the bottom) vs rootmakers? Seems like root makers are more popular on IW, but you see a lot of the cone-tainers which seem appealing to fit more trees in smaller space and seem like they'd make a good tap root. Although the rootmakers seem like they create a more dense but shallower root system. That is all just thoughts as I'm only trying rootmakers for the 1st time now.
Think they’d be fine & worth a shot. I know folks who have had success with them.
I run rootmakers & graduate to gallon pots. Plant a “gazillion” & space isn’t a huge issue. Spose it would be if you got into the thousands.

As of 5/8 this year it’s at 17”. It was 15” last year as of 05/06. To me, it’s crazy to think I’ll have a 40’ Quercus Alba in 20 years or less.

16383bf98af5ae32a41ba4d064caa96b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going on 12’ tall now. This Alba was planted in 2016 as an acorn and is outpacing the bicolor next to it.

3ac16c2b6639167e3cca0d0ba60293b3.jpg

Chestnuts, dwarf chinkapin oak & a hybrid burr oak…. Coming up nice!! Persimmons are always last to come up.
4B0ABF13-200A-40D6-8285-39B83FAD952E.jpeg
83275396-FD47-4B7E-AC7E-69590C1A77A4.jpeg

Chestnuts, dco’s, a regular chinkapin (tallest tree - first pic) & hybrid burr (hybrid with what else I’m not sure but deer pounded them & huge acorns) update….
4597BDFE-BCD9-4241-9176-642EF2C74128.jpeg

7B4CED49-B288-4E4B-9730-DDABDC827F1F.jpeg
AD3692D3-C18A-4243-A60C-09B73F0DCB4D.jpeg

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Kansas State Forest will have the fall seedling sale open starting Sept thru Oct. 15th. They show to have dwarf chinkapin oaks, and they will ship to IA per the newsletter I received.

72a27bc2bf0116e3a5acd298edd4c010.jpg

• Deleted by letemgrow
  • Reason: dupliacte
Show…
If a guy burned a side hill (grassy) and then popped acorns in shortly after … along with some oak plugs… what kind of survival would you expect ??

South facing … 4-5 acres .

Any of you DCO gurus ever try to start them by direct seeding? I planted 5-6 acorns into about ten cages during a warm spell in February and have not seen any sprout yet. They were well-covered with soil and the ground is undisturbed inside the cage so I do not believe any rodents dug them up.

Any of you DCO gurus ever try to start them by direct seeding? I planted 5-6 acorns into about ten cages during a warm spell in February and have not seen any sprout yet. They were well-covered with soil and the ground is undisturbed inside the cage so I do not believe any rodents dug them up.
Iam a newbie to this and my experience is from planting them in my garage but it may still apply. My dco acorns were a toooooon slower emerging than the other oak species I planted. It was enough later I had just about given up on them.

White Oak Variation - I am fortunate to have multiple large white oaks on the property my house sits on and I have noticed that there is a stark contrast between not only acorn production but size/shape. I have one tree that produced well last year but not so much in years past, it produces large acorns that almost resemble small english oak acorns. However, I have a "wolf" tree that has produced a heavy crop for each of the 8 years I have lived here and is loaded again this year. The acorns from this tree also have an unusually high germination rate. I discovered this when I threw out all of the acorns that failed my float test and nearly all them germinated and rooted into the ground within a couple days. Its offspring have also exhibited extremely quick growth, imo.

More importantly, the acorns are smaller and rounder in appearance. I noticed that turkeys really enjoy these as can be seen by the fall bird I arrowed a few years back, a couple miles from my house. These acorns in picture are nearly identical to ones my tree produces. I shot this bird in early November as it was approaching a roost tree, it had 40 of these acorns in it and quite a bit of field corn. Do any of you notice this type of variation in size/shape/vigor?

Attachments

• 8744E1B8-0187-477F-A5BE-761BC7329068IMG_4788.JPG
    8744E1B8-0187-477F-A5BE-761BC7329068IMG_4788.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 90
White Oak Variation - I am fortunate to have multiple large white oaks on the property my house sits on and I have noticed that there is a stark contrast between not only acorn production but size/shape. I have one tree that produced well last year but not so much in years past, it produces large acorns that almost resemble small english oak acorns. However, I have a "wolf" tree that has produced a heavy crop for each of the 8 years I have lived here and is loaded again this year. The acorns from this tree also have an unusually high germination rate. I discovered this when I threw out all of the acorns that failed my float test and nearly all them germinated and rooted into the ground within a couple days. Its offspring have also exhibited extremely quick growth, imo.

More importantly, the acorns are smaller and rounder in appearance. I noticed that turkeys really enjoy these as can be seen by the fall bird I arrowed a few years back, a couple miles from my house. These acorns in picture are nearly identical to ones my tree produces. I shot this bird in early November as it was approaching a roost tree, it had 40 of these acorns in it and quite a bit of field corn. Do any of you notice this type of variation in size/shape/vigor?

Those look like some type of red oak variety.

Black oak perhaps?

White Oak Variation - I am fortunate to have multiple large white oaks on the property my house sits on and I have noticed that there is a stark contrast between not only acorn production but size/s
hape. I have one tree that produced well last year but not so much in years past, it produces large acorns that almost resemble small english oak acorns. However, I have a "wolf" tree that has produced a heavy crop for each of the 8 years I have lived here and is loaded again this year. The acorns from this tree also have an unusually high germination rate. I discovered this when I threw out all of the acorns that failed my float test and nearly all them germinated and rooted into the ground within a couple days. Its offspring have also exhibited extremely quick growth, imo.
Are you in Iowa? Sounds like a super tree! Have you potted any?

Trying to decide if this is a chinkapin x bur cross or a bur x swamp white oak. All 3 are on this property.

c667ad099eaeda1b0a865c8c1c6068c2.jpg

f643e3818d994205d7178dc9ed38a331.jpg

50a24656fdd2f6c72a1a3149a7c76885.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom