Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Changing the crossbow season?

It's like roger rothaar wrote, a man ( high jumper) trains real hardy everyday, practices and finally clears the 7 ft bar. The the fat lazy kid next door buys a trampoline and jumps the same bar.

Bow vs crossbow, society wants a quick everything these days, that's what's is about, not one wants to work at doing anything especially today's generation coming up.

Anything you have to shoulder, point, use a scope, and shoot that is pre loaded is not archery and they have not been allowed because of such reasons until the liberal,lazy folks got in charge.

It's politicians, Kansas, hunters did not want them, kwpdt did not want them, oh but some politician idiot worried about crop damage to his 5000 acre farm, he inherited from his family and another with a buddy in ten point crossbows, after his pockets got lined and convinced the others it would sell more permits and give everyone a chance to hunt more.

I think the proposed change, is spot on, using it during gun season, that's reasonable it's a gun. But brother, it's just the tip of the ice berg, I don't live in iowa or kansas, but have hunted them both. They are the last true treasures left in the whitetail world.

The industry and technology is stealing from us, here is the problem thevpeople making the rules, don't hunt public land or share the family farm with others, how many places have hard working tax payers, lost due to this chaos. The rule makes dont have to deal with this stuff, so they don't know or don't care.

Sorry if I am rant, It just makes me angry, when th joes who make up 99 percent ofth huting population have no say on wht happens.

I am joining the iba and will be onthe font lines, when they try and victimize iowa.

Sounds like this would mean crossbows allowed during youth, early muzzy, shotgun 1 & 2, late muzzy, January anterless, and any other add on gun seasons (all allow muzzleloader).

But from reading the bill, it was unclear to me as to whether the crossbow license would take place of the gun any-sex license or if it is in addition to that. So, could someone get an any-sex bow license, an any-sex gun license, and an any-sex crossbow license?

Also, would the one crossbow license be valid for only one corresponding gun season, or open to all gun seasons?

Sounds like this would mean crossbows allowed during youth, early muzzy, shotgun 1 & 2, late muzzy, January anterless, and any other add on gun seasons (all allow muzzleloader).

But from reading the bill, it was unclear to me as to whether the crossbow license would take place of the gun any-sex license or if it is in addition to that. So, could someone get an any-sex bow license, an any-sex gun license, and an any-sex crossbow license?

Also, would the one crossbow license be valid for only one corresponding gun season, or open to all gun seasons?

The way I read it is that the crossbow would be an alternative weapon for that season, not a stand alone tag.

I don't use one but, do they still need to get the deer within 40 yards? yes. does Iowa already allow pre drawn bows? yes. can compound bows have scopes on then? yes. because the crossbow is already anchored does that mean the hunter is any less of a woodsman? no.

if all the compound bow guys are against it then maybe we should have a different season for them and traditional long and recurves since compounds have a vast advantage over traditional then crossbows have over compounds!

2dblind, your arguement would have been on topic about 30-40 years ago. a modern "arrow gun" is not archery tackle. period

Greed is what's is about, It will put more pressure on the resource, when it happened in kansas, I thought long and hard and did some research. I came up with one under lying concept. Greed.

You Iowans are truly blessed, but don't think for a second the big xbows company's don't have there sights set on weasling it in the archery season.

So you compound hunters were in the same boat 30-40 years ago fighting to get in with traditional equipment and it was ok then but it's not ok now with crossbows? Very hypocritical!!!

So you compound hunters were in the same boat 30-40 years ago fighting to get in with traditional equipment and it was ok then but it's not ok now with crossbows? Very hypocritical!!!

Yup. Gonna have to agree. I shoot both a recurve and a compound and I have to admit that the degree of difficulty to master is FAR greater with the trad bow. With all the gear you can get for a compound, the only dif between them and a crossbow is the ergonomics.

I was kind of hoping they would just let me dumb down my muzzleloader by allowing me to shoot one pellet versus 3 so that my max range would be 50 yards. Of course, that would probably be more difficult than just buying a crossbow because I would still have to clean the muzz after each shot. ;)

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:way:

Why do you want to use a xbow? What's the appeal? Do you own or manage a farm? Have you hunted public land recently?

I don't want to use a crossbow. Never said that. Yes own 3 farms and manage another 2. It's been probably 3 years since I've hunted public. But, the funny thing about public is its public. You'll never win that argument that you want to keep crossbow out because it will crowd public ground more because they have just as much right to use that land as you do.

Why do you want to use a xbow? What's the appeal? Do you own or manage a farm? Have you hunted public land recently?
I don't want to use a crossbow. There is no appeal for me. That doesn't mean I should get to make that decision for the rest of the folks.
Don't own or manage a farm either. All I hunt is public land. ('Til Sligh rents me that acre we talked about a while back :D )

Liv4Rut said:
How many guys can shoot this good with their bows at 100 yards? It seems to me a good ground blind set up on a field edge with a solid rest and a range finder would be cake for these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gly3bafUhcU

Yep I agree, how can anyone disagree with that not belonging in the archery season? Here is another long range testimony how little practice is necessary from Long Range Hunting Online Magazine.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/pse-tac-15-15i-10-10i-crossbow-review-1.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom