Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Changing the crossbow season?

I can go to you tube and find links to. It's not whether it's good for someone's personnel agenda. It's the fact why should someone tell another they can or can't use the type of archery equipment they want. That's like me tell neighbors they can't shot whatever deer they want on their own farm. It's not what I would do but who an I tell how to do things?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=MwLMebFa9IM

I was about to say, there are way more 100 yard shot compound bow video's on youtube than crossbow shots.

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'm happy with the current regulations, but I'm not about to tell someone what they can or can not use, as long as you leave the firearms out of bow season.

I was about to say, there are way more 100 yard shot compound bow video's on youtube than crossbow shots.

Doesn't matter to me either way. I'm happy with the current regulations, but I'm not about to tell someone what they can or can not use, as long as you leave the firearms out of bow season.

:way::way::way:

" It's the fact why should someone tell another they can or can't use the type of archery equipment they want"

I understand that but in my opinion it's not archery equipment.

Archery seasons were for Archery= Close range!! I'd rather see them ban anything from archery except , Longbows and recurves without sights!!!! That would be a archery season!! I now hunt with a compound and started with one in 1978! Guess what!??? I can kill a deer at 10 yrds without sites!! Thats archery!! I think if your gonna allow crossbows into the bowhunting season, just go ahead and call it .....Deer season and we will use whatever we want!!!!!! From October first all the way out!!!!!! You take those sights and letoff off of those bows.............Alot less ARCHERS!!! That would be a shame!!!!!!!!!! :way:

No I only walk out there n shoot one during late muzzleloader. Wait till you see what I have in store for the party. You'll like it!

I heard all about it, looking forward to seeing it :D

Hope you don't jinx yourself for next year with all this crazy talk ;)

Now back to the crossbow discussion, this is entertaining.

How about this idea. Replace shotgun season 2 with crossbow season. No one has to worry about slugs flying throw their house and no party hunting. Plus like someone said easy to use in a ground blind. I would be happy to see another shotgun season leave

putting arrowguns in the archery season would have the same effect as starting shotgun season on oct 1st

It's my personal agenda, to protect the resource, allowing xbows will put more pressure on the resource.

You guys in iowa will be fine if the Dnr sticks to its guns, does not rasie the tag numbers and controls the nr land owners.

I am not telling or making choices of what weapon you are willing to put the time into to learn hunt with.

You really think crossbow put more pressure on the deer then party hunting with shotguns? I would rather see a shotgun season leave and have xbow season put in its place

This could go on forever, eveyone has valid arguments, but at the end of the day, it should be to protect the resouce, so your kids, my kids and their kids can have the same quality hunting we had.

Michigan_Deer_Harvest1.jpg

Just thought I'd post some numbers. I haven't put a calaculator to them to see if they add up and I'm the first to say you can make numbers say whatever you want them to.

The above numbers seem to indicate to me that crossbows take hunters out of the gun seasons and put them into archery season and that crossbows have not increased over all tag sales. Crossbows have made long range gun hunters into short range gun hunters.

trdtnlbwhntr wrote:
Even the most advanced compounds at the time of their introduction provided little benefit over the fiberglass backed recurves that were being mass produced. In todays realm, even the least advanced crossbows still provide massive improvements to ease of use while in the field over the compound bow.

Michigan_Deer_Harvest1.jpg

Just thought I'd post some numbers. I haven't put a calaculator to them to see if they add up and I'm the first to say you can make numbers say whatever you want them to.

The above numbers seem to indicate to me that crossbows take hunters out of the gun seasons and put them into archery season and that crossbows have not increased over all tag sales. Crossbows have made long range gun hunters into short range gun hunters.

So would that make short range bowhunters into long range bowhunters? And by the the by...Your on the board of the IBA now arent you!! :confused: :D Great post tho!!!

Ok if you look at those numbers that shows that of all the deer harvested 4% of them were harvested with a crossbow. Read that again only 4% were harvested with a crossbow out of well over a MILLION deer and that is going to ruin deer hunting in Michigan. I have some other data from Kentucky and North Carolina and could probably find stats from Ohio all of which allow crossbows during the archery season.

The archery (vertical bow) season in KY ran consecutively from 9/1/12 - 1/21/13, for a total of 143 days.

The crossbow season was broken up into the following: 10/1/12 - 10/21/12, 11/10/12 - 12/31/12, for a total of 73 days.

There were 18,708 deer taken with vertical bows this year.
There were 2,488 deer taken with crossbows this year.

The total deer harvest this year was 131,391.

Crossbows accounted for 1.89% of the total deer harvest.
icon_rolleyes.gif

The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

one shot scott said:
"that bear pooped"( my 4 year old son Shane, after he finished laughing! )

Big58cal Posts: 1844 Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:56 pm Location: The Hills of Kentucky This is from NC
You got me curious, so here are the deer harvest statistics for 2011-2012 in NC. Here, crossbows are legal anytime archery equipment is legal.

Total Deer = 173,553
Gun = 138,062 (79.55%)
Muzzeloader = 19,635 (11.31%)
Bow = 11,971 (6.90%)
Crossbow = 3,885 (2.24%)

Antlered Buck = 80,014
Gun = 64,292 (80.35% of bucks, 46.57% of all Gun deer)
Muzzeloader = 10,057(12.60% of bucks, 51.22% of all muzzeloader deer)
Bow = 4,292 (5.36% of bucks, 35.85% of all bow deer)
Crossbow = 1,373 (1.72% of bucks, 35.34% of all Xbow deer)

You can't really argue with this data - but I'm sure there are those who will try.
Keith
"If you get to thinking you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around.

2011 Vortex
Montec CS, Slicktrick, Magnus
Maxima Hunters, Easton FMJs
2" Blazers, 2" Rayzrs
Boo Custom String
<{{{><

nchunterkw Posts: 275 Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:21 am Location: Wake Forest, NC
These stats are from another form that is admittedly a crossbow site, but I am sure that the numbers are valid. If you look in Kentucky crossbow hunters only harvested 1.89% of the total deer harvested, and in North Carolina they harvested only 2.24% of the total. Then you have the 4% in Michigan and you have an average of 2.71% of all the deer harvested in 3 states were killed with a crossbow. How is that EVIL?:confused: More deer are killed on the highways every year.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that those of you who are protesting this issue so strongly have never even shot or probably even held a crossbow, so how can you form any kind of an educated opinon?
Speaking of opinons, you are entitled to yours that crossbows aren't archery equipment, but understand that just as many others have the opposit opinon that it is archery as much as compound bows are archery equipment. While I might use good reasons and information to possibly lead you to change your opinon, I certainly don't arbitarily attempt to force you to accept MY opinon like several of you are doing. If you take the time to actually do some research you will find that things like arrow speeds and weights and kenitic energy are very similar for both a crossbow and a comperable compound bow. Maxium down range yardages are very close with a slight edge to the compound shooting a little lighter arrow. Most crossbow bolts are in the range of 425 to 450 grans with a broadhead, while most compound arrows are in the 350 to 375 grans with a broadhead, and most crossbows shoot those at around 300 to 350 FPS and most compound bows shoot at comperable or even a little higher velosities. With comparable equipment the trajectory for the crossbow is only about 10 inches better that the compound at 50 yards. Almost any article that you read says that at 40 yards a deer can jump the string and duck almost clear under the crossbow bolt mostly because of the noise and vibration of the crossbow that you just don't have with the compound. While it might be a little easier to hit a target bag at 50 yards with the crossbow over the compound that advantage just doesn't hold out in actual hunting situations. :thrwrck:
Wow to much slow time at work this morning that let me get started on this subject. I will leave you with a question to ponder. If a compound bow is archery equipment and a crossbow isn't, then why aren't either one allowed in the Olimpic ARCHERY competiton? :rolleyes:

Like I said, you can make numbers say anything you want. What happens if you look at the total number of deer taken by crossbow during the archery season?

from an email i recieved from the owner of an archery shop....

Had a guy in the shop this week showing me trophy pics of the “huge” buck he had harvested with his crossbow.
Made the shot at 65 yards just as it was beginning to get pretty dark but had a nice clear view through his scope and was very steady using a bipod for support.
Complete pass-through with a Rage broadhead using a 380 fps crossbow
Does that sound like archery? Sounds more like muzzleloader or handgun to me

Top Bottom