Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

I'm against it but I respect everyone's opinion so they can think what they want. I do have one question however. Do we then move the youth season earlier? One of the reasons youth season is first is because of deer being less pressured and favorable weather conditions. Granted youth tags are good for almost every gun season now so they shouldn't be complaining about season length but I bet there will be some complaints about them hunting deer that have already been pressured.

This is what I was thinking about. Youth is super important, I loved the fact nobody else was out and I had a big advantage. It would suck for youth hunters not getting access due to bow hunters during the same time. I think that would cause issues.

This is what I was thinking about. Youth is super important, I loved the fact nobody else was out and I had a big advantage. It would suck for youth hunters not getting access due to bow hunters during the same time. I think that would cause issues.

Weren't you a youth out on a bunch of private ground?

Leave it alone. No reason to have a season that early here. If you want to hunt that early there are many states that allow it, and Canada. If it ain't broke dont fix it.

So all of a sudden we care about the youth again?I was getting bashed by people because i thought it would be nice if my seven year old could use a crossbow during youth seaon.Not many seemed to care about the youth then.Funny how when the tide turns your reasoning changes also.

I'm thinking it's more of an opportunity for people that have more free time at the beginning of the school year. I don't think your tag should carry over. I was thinking it would be like early and late Muzzleloader you should have to pick one or the other. There's a ton more bucks in daylight during August/September which means more opportunity for harvest. On the other hand, I feel like I'm just being greedy wanting an Iowa velvet buck. I don't think it should go through youth season either.
I understand what your saying I wish it was a never ending season and resource but in the end would it really be that fun if it was that way? Part of the fun is looking forward to the season and the challenge of the hunt. An August hunt on pre-scouted soybeans would not be much of a challenge in my opinion. This comes from the hours and hours of hands on scouting I used to put in when I had more time in my life. We glassed every night finding the deer we planned on hunting come season and those deer at that time of the year you could count on like clock work. I can without doubt tell you the bucks that I'm sure would be the focus of that season would not fair well as they are so predictable at that time. We need seasons to conserve and regulate our resources right? In many areas of the state the deer herds need to recover they do not need added pressure of additional seasons and weapons. It's conservation time and the seasons in the coming years need to reflect this.

I want to know if everyones concern is Iowa's deer herd then what is worse for the herd?Shooting a buck in an early season or shooting a doe in the regular season?If it is the herd then I would have to say shooting a doe in the regular season.If you shoot a doe you are potentionally taking out 2-3 deer per harvest.Taking a buck is only taking 1 deer.So it is hard for me to believe that most of you are using the population of the herd to make your judgement on an early buck season.

I want to know if everyones concern is Iowa's deer herd then what is worse for the herd?Shooting a buck in an early season or shooting a doe in the regular season?If it is the herd then I would have to say shooting a doe in the regular season.If you shoot a doe you are potentionally taking out 2-3 deer per harvest.Taking a buck is only taking 1 deer.So it is hard for me to believe that most of you are using the population of the herd to make your judgement on an early buck season.

Do you think we need well balanced sex ratios to have a healthy herd? In a naturally occurring environment without human influence what would you expect sex ratios to be? Do you think it would be a good thing to potentially loose many more bucks from a healthy herd standpoint and long term economic stand point from the DNRs perspective?

Do we really NEED another season to manage the deer population? When was the last time a buck-only tag was issued? I'm guessing I held one back in the 70's.

On top of all this the proposed early buck season I would probably consider an "early trophy season" after five years of smashing all the finest genetic specimens that leaves you with a breeding stock of less desirable specimens as all the finest 2, 3, and 4 year olds are killed. I'm no scientist but understand that and I know of many others that understand that and have learned from their mistakes. Eventually that will catch up economically in my opinion as quality declines. Nothing wrong with practicing conservation for todays and tomorrows generations. Like I said before learn from your and others mistakes.

Last edited:
On top of all this the early buck season I would probably consider an "early trophy season" after five years of smashing all the finest genetic specimens that leaves you with a breeding stock of less desirable specimens as all the finest 2, 3, and 4 year olds are killed. I'm no scientist but understand that and I know of many others that understand that and have learned from their mistakes. In this age we have more information, education and top-notch equipment to make this all much easier. Nothing wrong with practicing conservation for todays and tomorrows generations. Like I said before learn from your and others mistakes.

I've wondered about culling the cream of the crop before, but many said the doe contributes much.....

Still, I've shot some older bucks with less than "trophy" racks that I'm very happy with, this year as an example.

Here's a good one for you guys, hunting in 90+ degree weather.. How fast are you going to recover that buck you shoot? Better be able to do it in 3 hours or less or that meat is gone. You gut shot a deer there's wasted meat

Here's a good one for you guys, hunting in 90+ degree weather.. How fast are you going to recover that buck you shoot? Better be able to do it in 3 hours or less or that meat is gone. You gut shot a deer there's wasted meat

You just reminded me of an early hunt I did on a creek bottom fall 2014. I forgot about the possibility of mosquitoes and was not prepared. I actually gave up that hunt that evening, climbing down early out of fear of West Nile or some other insect borne disease.

I like listening to you guys... No way could I stand the bugs!

Sent from my XT1030 using IW

That's why I say we go with the March or April buck season, less bugs. Even May would be nice and some nice bases developed.

Do we really NEED another season to manage the deer population? When was the last time a buck-only tag was issued? I'm guessing I held one back in the 70's.

2014-2015 is the most recent season you could purchase a buck only tag in 27 counties :)

Last edited:
I am still unsure why people keep going back to kids and crossbows? My daughter is 5 and son is 4 and they both shoot a bow. I would personally prefer they learn that way first then decide for themselves. They are started with a bow and then can graduate to a gun later when the safety part of the sport is second nature. Nothing against crossbows really, they just aren't a bow other than in name.

Top Bottom