Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

I'm glad that people on this site who see 2.5 and 3.5 yr old bucks on every sit of there hunting season are very passionate about our states deer resource. It would be nice if they could also not reply over and over again in the same thread ridiculous statements of open seasons on our states hunting resources. Someone as so fortunate to have some of the best deer hunting opportunities in the state would have better arguments than open season year round statements.

Special Interest (insurance) groups make for bad policies. Anybody have some hard data about contributions made by insurance companies? This was a response from a Democrat.

Well, I looked her up on the Iowa Campaign Ethics website. She is a freshman representative who ran in a district that is roughly 1/2 democrat, 1/4 republican and 1/4 independent. Believe it or not she did not receive any money from any insurance companies, car, health or otherwise.

The vast majority of her contributions are in the $25-$100 range. The exception is a couple contributions from the local pipe fitters union one for $1,500 and one for $2,000. There were a few other PACs notably Emily's List for $500. But no smoking gun. Next year at this time I'm sure the list of PACs will indeed include insurance PACs.

As for her Clerk's reply, I agree with JNRBRONC, it reads more like unabashed self promotion, very badly written self promotion.

I'm glad that people on this site who see 2.5 and 3.5 yr old bucks on every sit of there hunting season are very passionate about our states deer resource. It would be nice if they could also not reply over and over again in the same thread ridiculous statements of open seasons on our states hunting resources. Someone as so fortunate to have some of the best deer hunting opportunities in the state would have better arguments than open season year round statements.

Maybe the reason those mentioned people have the best hunting in the state is because they manage their property wisely unlike what your DNR is proposing.

The only two things the DNR has managed to do right is keep guns out of the rut and limit NR tags. Everything else is a freaking disaster compared to other states. Party hunting, allowing tracking on someone else property without permission, shooting from a ditch, high powered doe season, 3 buck tags. Those are a deer managers nightmare. 95% who are serious about managing trophy deer will not be in favor of these changes.

Maybe the reason those mentioned people have the best hunting in the state is because they manage their property wisely unlike what your DNR is proposing.

The only two things the DNR has managed to do right is keep guns out of the rut and limit NR tags. Everything else is a freaking disaster compared to other states. Party hunting, allowing tracking on someone else property without permission, shooting from a ditch, high powered doe season, 3 buck tags. Those are a deer managers nightmare. 95% who are serious about managing trophy deer will not be in favor of these changes.

Managing properties for trophy bucks is something many of us do. My group tries and has some success. A cooperative effort with the neighbors sure has helped. However, I might not be in the majority on this site when I say trophy buck management should NEVER be a DNR priority. That should be an individual or local cooperative effort.

Also, if I go back through this and other threads, is Iowa's management a nightmare, or very good? Not you specifically, but we seem to speak out of both sides of our mouths regarding this valid concern.

Managing properties for trophy bucks is something many of us do. My group tries and has some success. A cooperative effort with the neighbors sure has helped. However, I might not be in the majority on this site when I say trophy buck management should NEVER be a DNR priority. That should be an individual or local cooperative effort. Also, if I go back through this and other threads, is Iowa's management a nightmare, or very good? Not you specifically, but we seem to speak out of both sides of our mouths regarding this valid concern.

150, you bring up a good point about local efforts being the grassroots. I would say that the DNR has taken a more active approach by talking openly with Drurys and marketing your deer.

I used to wish my state was more like Iowa until I joined this site and saw the other side of some laws. Limiting NR tags combined with still having relatively large tracts of land really provide a benefit to getting deer to age that people struggle to comprehend. Limiting NR tags wouldn't help Indiana. Our land is too broken up so we don't have qtr sections and bigger protected 2 out of every 3 years like Iowa.

1) I am very passionate because I do have very good hunting. If it wasn't for farming and owning my own farms, it would be worse like many of my good friends experience. There's a vast array of really good VS mediocre to poor areas in the state depending on where you are. Right now, the regulations keep Iowa in a "very good" position overall IMO. It's for sure RECOVERING, due to 5 years of BAD REGULATIONS. Why I keep bringing up all the RIDICULOUS NEW SEASONS that we get bombarded with EVERY FRIGIN YEAR!!! And we JUST got done getting rid of the last RIDICULOUS SEASON!!! How bout we get a recovery in place and learn from the past? How isn't this relevent?

2) I came from MICHIGAN. MICHIGAN is an absolute JOKE for hunting, management, SPECIAL INTERESTS and ruining a resource that could be good. See, I came from an area that was crap so I understand it, like many others on here. We don't want to see the same crap ruin our state. It's like the guys that flee from Communism to America and see the same types of things happening here but want to make sure the same things don't happen here as where they fled from (EXTREME EXAMPLE, I understand).

3) Hoosier is right...... IMO - I actually think we are TEETERING on the edge of bad damage. No guns in rut saves Iowa big time. I mean, that's it in a nutshell really. Short gun season. You throw ONE OR TWO bad seasons or regs into the mix- that teetering system will flip the other way. Why I say Iowa is so delicate, with so little cover, etc. We just saw what one bad season can do and it really has teetered many areas over the state to "disaster" for hunting (northern 2/3rd's of state in many areas) and folks can learn from that?!?!? It's mind boggling. So, you think I repeat myself, sure, I agree, I do BUT it's a passion & constant reminder that folks need to learn from the past and think through things. Don't learn from the past, you're bound to repeat it. Which seems to be a yearly thing for us here with our POLITICIANS and folks with knee jerk reactions and short memories.

My 2 cents. I think it would be cool to shoot a Velvet buck. But I do not think we need anymore new seasons. You can go to Montana to shoot a velvet buck. As for the Youth crossbow. I don't have a issue with this. But i do not think you should use the unused youth tag. The youth should by a bow tag for that season. I would love to sit in the blind with my boys durring bow season and see if they can tag a buck with a crossbow.

This is the way I look at it. If someone is going to shoot a young deer he is going to do it weather it's sept or November. So really you don't change anything by opening up the season early in that regards. The people that are going to shoot a mature buck are going to shoot one in sept or November or not fill their tag with an immature deer. So what is wrong with giving people another three weeks to do so? I have seen where people say it's going to hurt the age structure and I think that is off too. Say some guy that would shoot a two or three year old the last week of November just to kill a buck shoots a 5 year old in sept.... I think that helps age structure does it not?

Deer in velvet look much larger than they actually are. A 7 yr old has ample opportunity to kill a deer during the youth season that already exists. It was a nightmare hunting last season in September due to the mosquitos. We don't need to change anything. WE don't need another season. I agree with Sligh and I have two kids that could hunt with a crossbow but they can wait til they can shoot a compound bow. Just my opinion.

If we make this VERY BASIC...... LONGER SEASON = MORE BUCKS KILLED, PERIOD.

That's irregardless of age class.
It's more days hunters are pressuring & pursuing bucks. More seasons will create more people pressuring & killing bucks as well. This is VERY SIMPLE. We saw what 2-3 extra weeks of hunting did to deer herd before (let's just talk about hunter response & feedback on the amount of SHED BUCKS ONLY that were shot late Antlerless season - many folks across the state spoke out in droves from that alone). So, again, where do we draw the line? Almost 4 months now, "8 seasons" (not 6 like I mistakenly thought before) - is this enough?
IOWA IS FRAGILE. IOWA IS FRAGILE. IOWA IS FRAGILE. I'm going to repeat this until folks quit throwing out the threats every year to pimp our resource for their special interest. We are teetering on a recovery of our deer herd, deer hunting quality and going down the wrong road AGAIN. Iowa is a special and delicate place with little cover and a delicate resource, we need to defend it to keep it great.
THE ONLY THING FOLKS CAN DO THAT IS EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE - WRITE IN TO THOSE EMAIL ADDRESSES. QUIT MESSING WITH OUR DELICATE & RECOVERING SYSTEM and RESOURCE! WRITE IN, IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

Here's the deal you give me 5 properties and 5 target bucks and tags for the August and the first week of September and I guarantee I could kill 3.No other time of the year would I say this. Give me a crossbow and maybe I could kill all 5. The resource "deer" can not sustain that pressure and remain a quality resource that hunters enjoy for the long run in my opinion.

Last edited:
If anyone wants a velvet deer that bad, there's a number of good taxidermists that can put very realistic artificial velvet on an early October buck probably for not much more than getting the real thing freeze dried. If you're not going to mount your velvet buck why do you want a set of antlers that is soon going to stink to high heaven anyway? Iowa's deer resource, which not long ago was a "great thing", has already been messed with to the point that it is now a "good thing" at best. Quit messing with seasons etc. before it gets any worse.

Yes I agree the late season was a joke! I guess what I am saying is that the guys that tag young deer are going to do so anyway and if they happen to get a shot at a older deer in the early months.... They don't shoot that young deer later. If you want to get away from shooting shed bucks get rid of one shotgun season and just have one that goes two weeks, then muzz can finish out the month of December. Then deer season is closed at the end of the month. I'm wiling to bet 75% of young bucks are takin in gun seasons rather than bow.

I received this email back from Mr. Windschitl who was the one to introduce HF43

"Jordan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and share your thoughts in regards to HF43. A subcommittee was held this morning on the bill and after hearing the testimony in opposition to the idea, I requested that the bill be tabled and not brought up for further consideration. Rep. Klein graciously agreed to table HF43 for the session. The bill came at the request of a friend of mine who is an avid outdoorsman and would like the opportunity to take a deer in velvet.

Please continue to share your thoughts with me as issues arise and keep me informed on how I can best serve you.

Sincerely,

Matt Windschitl"

2nd response after asking him if it is common for 'suggestions from friends' to cause a new bill to be introduced:

"It is very common for legislators to hear ideas from constituents and file proposals based off of those ideas. Some move forward and many, like mine, do not. I honestly did not realize how controversial this proposal would be and have learned a great deal from proposing the bill.

Do you have any specific proposals you would like to talk through?"

He has been a very respectful rep. and easy to work with, so he's not all bad. Just doing his job. Thank you everyone who wrote in and voiced your opinion on this bill. It DOES help, these people listen, and after recieving the opposition for it the bill was tabled.

Last edited:
Iowa's deer resource, which not long ago was a "great thing", has already been messed with to the point that it is now a "good thing" at best. Quit messing with seasons etc. before it gets any worse.

Or you could remove a season to make it better if it has gotten so "bad". It seems as though getting a bill introduced to do away with something does not seem so terribly difficult.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate obviously but does it not make sense in a state where things are apparently so fragile as it would seem they are to an outside reader like myself.

It would seem Matt Windschitl is willing to propose bills to represent those that elected him so really, why not try get rid of something if things are teetering on the edge of disaster? Say for example any hunting in January, after all simple survival without being hunted by us is tougher that time of year.

Hypothetically,...who would give something up such as that?

I received this email back from Mr. Windschitl who was the one to introduce HF43

"Jordan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me and share your thoughts in regards to HF43. A subcommittee was held this morning on the bill and after hearing the testimony in opposition to the idea, I requested that the bill be tabled and not brought up for further consideration. Rep. Klein graciously agreed to table HF43 for the session. The bill came at the request of a friend of mine who is an avid outdoorsman and would like the opportunity to take a deer in velvet.

Please continue to share your thoughts with me as issues arise and keep me informed on how I can best serve you.

Sincerely,

Matt Windschitl"

2nd response after asking him if it is common for 'suggestions from friends' to cause a new bill to be introduced:

"It is very common for legislators to hear ideas from constituents and file proposals based off of those ideas. Some move forward and many, like mine, do not. I honestly did not realize how controversial this proposal would be and have learned a great deal from proposing the bill.

Do you have any specific proposals you would like to talk through?"

He has been a very respectful rep. and easy to work with, so he's not all bad. Just doing his job. Thank you everyone who wrote in and voiced your opinion on this bill. It DOES help, these people listen, and after recieving the opposition for it the bill was tabled.

Great news to read on a Friday! Thank you for writing and voicing your opinion.

It would seem Matt Windschitl is willing to propose bills to represent those that elected him so really, why not try get rid of something if things are teetering on the edge of disaster? Say for example any hunting in January, after all simple survival without being hunted by us is tougher that time of year.

YEAH! SaskGuy could not have hit the nail more square. If one guy can get that far with something so ridiculously new, we can surely get further with something so ridiculously old.

Top Bottom