Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

HR 43 and 44

What's your agenda? You just really want to use a crossbow during archery season? Are you affiliated with the crossbow industry in anyway? I'm honestly just trying to understand here? I'm being sincere and happily explain my agenda if any explanation needed.
I have a lifetime permit in Iowa and hunt the whole archery season with it. So honestly I am just favoring it so the others I have ran across that like them can use them.

I run trail cams every year I hardly ever get big bucks in velvet in daylight pics ever so it would not be as easy as some may think.Look at all of the trailcam pics I post on this site all the big ones are still late at night even when in velvet.So obviously this varies from place to place also.

I have a lifetime permit in Iowa and hunt the whole archery season with it. So honestly I am just favoring it so the others I have ran across that like them can use them.

I like hunting with my 7MM Rem Mag, maybe we should have a season........ :D

CW's post echoes my situation on one farm I hunt. When the rut starts and crops come out, it becomes desolate. Still not in favor of the earlier start. I don't think we need anymore seasons, whether or not I benefit from them.

Farmers are already allowed an extra buck tag. They should be allowed an extra season but not anybody else? We live in Iowa, a good % of people work around the farming industry. "America Needs Farmers." I work at a Liquid Fertilizer Plant. We shipped product from early October to January this year. Limiting my time afield greatly. My family depends on farming just as much as yours. But because I do not own land I'm not entitled? So I feel that point has no merit. Also a lot of people are arguing that it would be easier to kill during September. True? Maybe. But how many of you have shot a buck then? People are assuming so by hear say vs personal experience. Driving around and watching them feeding in beans in late summer, is still different from hunting. Our hunting season is long. But I personally feel archery does not put that much pressure on deer.

Farmers are already allowed an extra buck tag. They should be allowed an extra season but not anybody else? We live in Iowa, a good % of people work around the farming industry. "America Needs Farmers." I work at a Liquid Fertilizer Plant. We shipped product from early October to January this year. Limiting my time afield greatly. My family depends on farming just as much as yours. But because I do not own land I'm not entitled? So I feel that point has no merit. Also a lot of people are arguing that it would be easier to kill during September. True? Maybe. But how many of you have shot a buck then? People are assuming so by hear say vs personal experience. Driving around and watching them feeding in beans in late summer, is still different from hunting. Our hunting season is long. But I personally feel archery does not put that much pressure on deer.

I'll post some September big bucks we've killed. No prob. Have some on my facebook page below. This was 7-10 yrs ago (not in Iowa!!! Just to clarify!!)

I agree- anyone involved in agriculture period should have a JULY 1 to August 15 buck season. Or - anyone with scheduling problems period. At least give a choice. With this logic- I mean, why not look at a May season? Nice bucks with Popcan like stumps to hunt. Or- since the goal is opportunity for those with INFINITE needs, situations and schedules- year round buck hunting but only one tag- u choose when... May, July, November, February - whatever. Since 4 months is not enough - I honestly can't see a valid reason anyone can explain to me why we should not have a year round season if we do limit to one buck. Since our current season is so limiting, please tell me why not?!? Seriously.

Last edited:
Honestly I love the early bow idea!

I kinda like it as well, but don't like the "perpetual tag" proposed. IMO, like early ML season, hunting this proposed season should have consequences in what other license options you have down the road. If this season is adopted, which I'd rather not see as we have enough seasons already, the license should expire Oct. 1. Not sure where the idea of "perpetual tags" is coming from, that if not filled, they are then valid in this or that later season. Licenses are sold for the opportunity to hunt, not with a guarantee of meat on the pole.

Liberal seasons, Liberal weapon choices, Liberal accommodations for everyone's needs, Liberal equal opportunity for all.... Liberalism seeps its way into even our deer hunting & just like Liberalism in general, it's step by step, gradual. By the time we realize the ramifications, damage, ripples, unintended consequences- it's too late. Can't leave a good thing alone. Another example of Liberalism slowly dismantling greatness & the last few special places.

Or is is Capitalism? Tough call.

Good question. I think some of that too. I think the lobbyists, for say, crossbow companies, ya - I think you're right, a capitalist philosophy I would say in all fairness.

All that jump on board, citizens, I think overwhelmingly a LIBERAL MINDSET... "What season would meet MY NEEDS". "WHAT WOULD I WANT". "WHAT WOULD ACCOMODATE MY SCHEDULE". "WHAT WOULD GIVE ME AN ADVANTAGE OR LEG UP ON OTHER HUNTERS". "WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME". Instead of: what's best for the resource. What's best for the deer herd? What's best for my neighbors? "Hunting is only about ME".

ME, ME, ME, ME whether it's the hunter that wants everything to accomodate them or the crossbow companies wanting more money for themselves, it's the selfish attitude that Liberalism entitles us to that will be an ongoing threat here.

Right now, Iowa hunting is recovering and is good. Keeping the current regs in place is critical & keeping out all these tons of proposals EVERY YEAR! There's no reason, by anyone's logic & HISTORY, why changes in regulations in deer management, our habitat policies, tags, seasons, etc can't impact the deer herd and hunting the same way it did PHEASANTS over the last 20 years. I don't see a iowapheasants.com webpage with too much activity now days. I also wonder why we don't have 6 new regulation propositions and all these Liberal ideas for TURKEY SEASON every year? Why don't we see that targeted all over? Why don't we have a proposal for a "March Turkey season" or some Liberal crap like that?

I also would be in favor of the early season. Its all about timing for me. And I see skip has already mocked that so I will enjoy his reply to this. I farm, as many others, and with us starting to combine beans the end of September, and only getting a chance to hunt when it rains, (sometimes) I like the idea of getting a few more days in the stand. It wouldn't bother me, however, to limit the buck tag to only early season with no carryover. If that would make some people happy and in favor of the idea. I can tell most people are not for it, and apparently everyone is against any change. If it stays the way it currently is, I would be fine with that, but I honestly see no problem with an earlier season.

I also would be in favor of the early season. Its all about timing for me. And I see skip has already mocked that

No, I won't say any more. I think it's clear but too many people really do miss the big picture but no, I'll just shut up. I respect other's opinions but will give everything I have & can to defending the THREATS we face on our great resource and state.

I'm against it but I respect everyone's opinion so they can think what they want. I do have one question however. Do we then move the youth season earlier? One of the reasons youth season is first is because of deer being less pressured and favorable weather conditions. Granted youth tags are good for almost every gun season now so they shouldn't be complaining about season length but I bet there will be some complaints about them hunting deer that have already been pressured.

I'm against it but I respect everyone's opinion so they can think what they want. I do have one question however. Do we then move the youth season earlier? One of the reasons youth season is first is because of deer being less pressured and favorable weather conditions. Granted youth tags are good for almost every gun season now so they shouldn't be complaining about season length but I bet there will be some complaints about them hunting deer that have already been pressured.

RIGHT ON. & like Gunrunr said, well, the shotgun hunters sure aren't going to be happy that 3-3.5 months have gone by with guys after bucks before them - time to move the gun season into November. One of the biggest things keeping Iowa the top state it is, no guns (or crossbows) in rut & that very well could change with all this messing with seasons. No one wants to think through this stuff.

May I ask why?

I'm thinking it's more of an opportunity for people that have more free time at the beginning of the school year. I don't think your tag should carry over. I was thinking it would be like early and late Muzzleloader you should have to pick one or the other. There's a ton more bucks in daylight during August/September which means more opportunity for harvest. On the other hand, I feel like I'm just being greedy wanting an Iowa velvet buck. I don't think it should go through youth season either.

Top Bottom