Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Warm Season Grass

TOMT,

I would look at putting in some prairie cord grass and switch in your waterways after you get the RCG under control, but only after you get rid of that crap. DT gave some great advice on how to get rid for the RCG too.

Thanks guys,
I will definately try your spray combo Doubltree.
My biggest concern would be that all that nice expensive seed
would get washed away after frost seeding, but I suppose if it's going on killed sod it sort of gets "anchored in" so to speak. I also won't till, I'll
just mow, kill the sod, get a nice fall oust combo spray, then frost or dormant seed next winter, and spray a gly/atrzine/or simazine mix that following spring.
If I save enough pennies this year, I might even add a little prairie cord grass. Is pcg also compatible with those sprayings?

I am not sure about the Prairie Cord Grass, I will see what I can find out about it as most people do not plant it so I highly doubt it has much literature on the subject. Worst case scenario, I could ship you up some as I have lots of plants available for picking (they are all over the roadsides and wet areas in my area (zone 5). Then you could try them free of charge and see if they work before you waste any money on them.

I might even add a little prairie cord grass. Is pcg also compatible with those sprayings? <!-- / message -->

I don't know about herbicide for PCG? if you want I can pick some seed and send you some next fall...won't be a 50# bag of it but enough to try getting some started...;)

Also TomT,

Lincoln Oakes nursery out of SD sells plugs of prairie cord grass so that may be a cheap way for you to get some started. It will spread by rhizomes so you really do not need a solid stand of it to start with. It will get there in time.

Thanks,
You guys are too kind.
Actually, I have an order into Lincoln-Oakes for a few hundred scrubs. I'll have to add a few plugs and experiment with the PCG. I have some wet areas in the 10 acres that I dormant seeded this past December. It'll be fun to see what happens.

Truax Slinger

With the snow starting to disappear I am getting ready to plant 7 acres of CP-25. I was going to drill it but now thinking I might just as well broadcast it if I can find the right tools. Can anyone lead me to a Truax slinger in SE Iowa that could be borrowed or rented? Also considering buying a new one and then just putting it up for sale. Looks like they are going to run about $350 new from Truax. Anyone interested in buying a one time used one after I am done with it?

dkelly,
Did you call your county NRCS office?
I know here where I live they have one for rent.
Maybe give them a try.

dkelly,
You also may want to consider renting their drill.
I did about 10 acres this past December with the NRCS drill, and I have to say it worked really nice. The nice thing is you get a real even distribution
of the seed. It's easy to see where you have been. I used the drill as a drop spreader in the up position, basically, just like broadcasting with a lot
less walking.
Yesterday I frost seeded some CIR switch on the snow by broadcasting, which isn't hard, but I'm sure I got it on a little too heavy in some areas and a little too light in other areas. Where there was snow it was real easy to see what I was putting down, but then I got into areas with no snow and you sort of have to go by feel. Also, this was just switch seed, no fluffies to deal with.
I guess a lot depends on your area, is it frozen? Too much snow?
Whatever you do, good luck !!!!!!!
Tom

Thanks Tom

Here in south east Iowa we are going to go from 10 inches of snow and have not seen anything above freezing since Thanksgiving straight to mid 40s and above freezing over night. I'm not sure that is going to allow me to get a tractor in once I see bare ground. I found a Vicon 3 point broadcaster that claims it will handle the fluffy stuff, now just waiting for the weather to cooperate.

Here's a late season pic of Indian Grass around December (2nd season of growth). I was in here this weekend and it actually was standing exceptionally well and almost looks as good as this picture. Cool part is: this is on ROUGH ground & it still is super tall- we're talking rocky JUNK ground! The stuff on better quality ground is much thicker/taller BUT the Indian seemed to be a top performer on my "junk ground", maybe even better than the switchgrass in THIS SCENARIO.

The next time I do some native grass seedings, I am going to try far more things. Like previously mentioned- I will be planting Eastern Gamagrass now that I have my corn planter & I'll make sure I time it right or get stratified seed. Love to try some others as well. I'd love to get about 5 different areas of stuff like one area of straight CIR, another area of Eastern Gama, CP-25, etc, etc.

Here's a question, what's the main NWSG's that are Atrazine resistant 1st year (I know Eastern Gamagrass, CIR switch, Big Blue Stem)- is there any others? My new seedings I think I'll go 1ST YEAR with Atrazine resistant only, 2nd year I'll be doing more stuff like CP-25, Indian, forbes, etc. Atrazine resistent NWSG's???

315-Grasslarge.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Skip!! Mine is standing pretty well this year too!

Indiangrass is resistant the second year after establishment but I'm not sure beyond the ones you mentioned.

I suspect Little Bluestem would be resistant to atrazine too but I don't know that for a fact.

NWSG is very cool stuff and it is neat to try different plants and see how they compare and to just enjoy diversity...:way:

This is from Welters.

Little Bluestem is a native bunch grass that spreads by seed and underground tillers. It grows 3 to 5 feet tall with roots 5 to 8 feet deep. It has finer leaves than Big Bluestem and is more drought tolerant. At one time it was the most widely distributed grass in America. It thrives on a variety of soils but produces best on medium and dry soils.

Establishment
Plant 1/4 inch deep. Do not use atrazine. Native grasses are slow establishing and weed control is vital during stand development.
Management
Livestock prefer this grass so do not graze below 8 inches. Cut for hay only once per season.
Product Type: Native Warm Season Grasses

Producer: (None)

Treated: No

I was thinking of putting in some little blue this year but i'm still up in the air on it.

Do not use atrazine

The atrazine label mentions little bluestem and indiangrass for second year treatment only so probably not a good idea to use it on little blue in the establishment year.

Plateau and Panoramic are of course safe to use on everything but switchgrass.

Here's a link to some studies on establishing Little Bluestem...

Little Bluestem

I have a couple questions... I have an area that is Reed Canary Grass and I would like to convert into native grass. I am going to do the standard spray spray spray all summer and it will be ready for frost seeding in the spring. The problem is that the area I want to plant is next to a river and is under a foot of water right now! so I am assuming that next year will be the same deal when I want to frost seed. What should I do?
also in a low area like this that is under water for a short time in the spring but dries up in the summer, would switchgrass grow ok?
What are some other native grasses that would do well in low areas?
How does Prairie Cord Grass compare to Switchgrass?
sorry for all the questions... I'm still new to Natives and I just want to get it right the first time!

what about statifying the seed by getting it wet and keeping it in the fridge for a few weeks then planting it when the area dries up? do I need to dry out the seed before I plant it then?

I have a couple questions... I have an area that is Reed Canary Grass and I would like to convert into native grass. I am going to do the standard spray spray spray all summer and it will be ready for frost seeding in the spring. The problem is that the area I want to plant is next to a river and is under a foot of water right now! so I am assuming that next year will be the same deal when I want to frost seed. What should I do?

also in a low area like this that is under water for a short time in the spring but dries up in the summer, would switchgrass grow ok?
What are some other native grasses that would do well in low areas?
How does Prairie Cord Grass compare to Switchgrass?
sorry for all the questions... I'm still new to Natives and I just want to get it right the first time!

I would sow it in late November or early December before it starts flooding. Switchgrass can stand some brief flooding but Eastern Gammagrass can tolerate longer periods of flooding. (there is info on that subject in this thread)

[
what about statifying the seed by getting it wet and keeping it in the fridge for a few weeks then planting it when the area dries up? do I need to dry out the seed before I plant it then?
/QUOTE]

Yes you can stratify dormant seeds that way but don't completely re-dry them or they may return to the dormant state. It is much easier to sow in late fall or early winter before snows/floods hit then monkey around trying to stratify seeds...;)

Timing of burn ?????

I know as late as possible is the best time to burn for WSG's. Where I live I'm guessing early to mid-May.
However, this year we must be darn near a month ahead of time. Trees and bushes are breaking bud and the darn grass is getting pretty green and starting to grow. We have had a couple of days in the 80's already and quite a few 70's.
How tall can the cool season grasses get before it makes it a son-of-gun
to burn effectively????????
Took a picture yesterday,
Spring2010004.jpg

I'm thinking if our weather stays above normal, with the rains they are predicting for this week, I may have to burn in two weeks or so.
Thoughts from the experts ????????
Thanks,
Tom

As long as you have lot's of fuel (and it looks like you do) it will still burn but things like this are a judgment call on your part.

If you can wait a couple more weeks that should be fine....;)

Top Bottom