Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR party hunting to be eliminated

In the video it’s clear that the dnr deemed it legal for nrs. As said earlier the dnr said it was legislatively enacted, it should legislatively changed.

Also in the video there’s a concern at that time that only 2500 of the 4000 nr doe tags were sold. This change will reduce that number. The result more legislation by farm bureau, realtors association, insurance companies, etc to make up those numbers. This paves a new road for the validation of nrlo tags imo. It’s coming. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
In the video it’s clear that the dnr deemed it legal for nrs. As said earlier the dnr said it was legislatively enacted, it should legislatively changed.

Also in the video there’s a concern at that time that only 2500 of the 4000 nr doe tags were sold. This change will reduce that number. The result more legislation by farm bureau, realtors association, insurance companies, etc to make up those numbers. It’s coming. Be careful what you wish for.
I wonder what the Drury’s take is on this and if they’ll throw their hat in the ring? Seems like the celebrities and the ones with the deepest pockets are the only ones with any influence in this world anymore.

I’d be surprised if there’s 500 NR doe tags purchased now ?

I see the the loss of revenue at 600k to 700k ? Who’s getting fired in the Iowa DNR ? It will be their own fault.

So far they (Drurys, Lakoskys, etc) haven't voice concern on much larger issues than this, I highly doubt they touch this one.

Also, you can probably thank that video, Drurys, THP, etc for drawing such attention to the "loophole". A friend at DNR said in the last 2-3 years they have fielded more questions and concerns about the loophole than ever before. The demand for hunting IA has skyrocketed, videos and social media stars have shown a spotlight, and what wasn't a big issue suddenly is and is getting abused, and it goes away. Don't blame DNR or anyone here on this forum. It's the classic "bad apples ruin it for everyone else"

So far they (Drurys, Lakoskys, etc) haven't voice concern on much larger issues than this, I highly doubt they touch this one.

Also, you can probably thank that video, Drurys, THP, etc for drawing such attention to the "loophole". A friend at DNR said in the last 2-3 years they have fielded more questions and concerns about the loophole than ever before. The demand for hunting IA has skyrocketed, videos and social media stars have shown a spotlight, and what wasn't a big issue suddenly is and is getting abused, and it goes away. Don't blame DNR or anyone here on this forum. It's the classic "bad apples ruin it for everyone else"
We can blame who we want. There’s bad stuff happening with resident Party hunting too. Just a lame excuse .

I see the the loss of revenue at 600k to 700k ? Who’s getting fired in the Iowa DNR ? It will be their own fault.

That was apparently in the rule change process and made me chuckle: "This rulemaking has no fiscal impact to the state of Iowa."

We'll see how the math shakes out, but a potential $500k-$1M hit to the DNR budget does not feel like "no fiscal impact to the state of Iowa."

It does feel very odd that this was such specific rule change, flew totally under the radar, and the DNR hasn't publicly addressed it, especially so late in the license application process. I'm sure a FOIA request for the Natural Resources Commission would be fairly interesting and show who/what drove this.

I'd also be concerned with the unintended consequences for those cheering this on.

The poll is interesting. Based on that and a survey of comments on social media, party hunting in general isn't supported by the masses. A large majority support support this clarification/change. A slightly lesser majority would like it eliminated for residents as well.

A non-scientific poll of mostly trophy hunters and Facebook comments from guys that want to police what bucks people kill (God forbid, somebody is happy with a 3 year old buck) is not super indicative of support. The same people comment "we need to ban deer drives next" because they can't stand that somebody, somewhere is not matching their self-imposed standard (they always have a picture with a 140" 3 year old buck if you scroll through their pictures long enough.)

I'll post the link again, but there is a more scientific poll that was done last year to survey Iowa deer hunters by the DNR, and it found a majority of hunters are happy with deer hunting in Iowa. I would consider myself a trophy hunter, but I think some of us get too wrapped up in it all without realizing how alienating it sounds to the average Joe Hunter.

The DNR didn't make the change, why would they see a firing?

Our group has had two NR doe tag hunters the past decade. I don't see them changing their plans for attending again this year. Consider those two tags sold for as long as they are offered. They will, however, pass on a buck now and only shoot a doe. They are as ethical as they come.

This reminds me of the woke groups who simply push an agenda for their own benefit and to see just how far an issue can be pushed.

This is an anti NR push from someone. In all the years here I’ve seen only more restrictions on the NR, keep in mind I’m now a R. If party hunting is an issue it should apply across the board. Someone went to the dnr and said you claim to sell 6k NR tags, but in reality there’s far more based on party hunting, or something along those lines. This didn’t happen on a whim.

Who made the change then ?
This started with Executive Order 10 on January 10, 2023 (governor) and the five-year review of rules (Iowa Code)

It then went to the Natural Resource Commission (NRC). The commissioners names and contact info is available here:

This document outlines the "Notice of Intended Action" which the NRC filed on December 27, 2023

Public Hearings were held on January 16 & January 18, 2024. One person total attended the hearings across the two days

This is the finalized document that was then sent to the Administrative Rules Review Committee (IRRC)

That committee, made up of 5 state senators and 5 state representatives adopted the rules on May 6th.
Committee members are listed at the top of their meeting agenda linked below

So, you can point fingers at any and all of the following
A) The governor
B) The 7 commissioners (appointed by governor and approved to six year terms by the senate)
C) The lack of everyone at the public hearings
D) The 10 committee members

1716397154614.png

Last edited:
8bitnes— thanks for posting. I see the Chris Ensminger of the Iowa DNR on the letterhead. Thats the guy I spoke with .

He was very shaky and nervous in his response on how this all went down. He had since not responded to several calls and emails from various hunters

It was hidden from the public intentionally.

8bitnes— thanks for posting. I see the Chris Ensminger of the Iowa DNR on the letterhead. Thats the guy I spoke with .

He was very shaky and nervous in his response on how this all went down. He had since not responded to several calls and emails from various hunters

It was hidden from the public intentionally.

Marcus Branstad will have the most intimate knowledge of how it went down. He is the head of the committee that made the changes.
1716397947607.png

Address all party hunting. Several years back during shotgun 1 I take a deer to a locker in sc Iowa. I pull to the drop off and in front of me was truck pulling a trailer with 16 does on it.

Locker guy comes out, he was familiar with me, threw me a saw and said help me cut the legs off of each doe at the first joint, if not you’ll be waiting awhile. I’d say half of the 16 had no tag. Locker doesn’t care it’s money, and certainly the old guy who brought them didn’t care.

That’s party hunting across the board. Address the entire issue, a group is being singled out, it’s wrong.

Address all party hunting. Several years back during shotgun 1 I take a deer to a locker in sc Iowa. I pull to the drop off and in front of me was truck pulling a trailer with 16 does on it.

Locker guy comes out, he was familiar with me, threw me a saw and said help me cut the legs off of each doe at the first joint, if not you’ll be waiting awhile. I’d say half of the 16 had no tag. Locker doesn’t care it’s money, and certainly the old guy who brought them didn’t care.

That’s party hunting across the board. Address the entire issue, a group is being singled out.
That's poaching not party hunting

Done during party hunting. Stop. That’s not the first time.

Lets clean up the farmers who carry a rifle in their cab year around for “coyotes”. lol. Really. Let’s clean up 3 bucks for resident land owners , let’s address resident party hunting, let’s clean up trespassing with coyote dogs. The list goes on. But, the governor wanted NR party hunting looked at. lol. Whatever.

Last edited:
It was done doing deer drives as a group. Obviously not enough tags but the guy wasn’t concerned one bit.
There are resources for reporting this and you can even get a reward if you desire or you can report it anonymously. Report the processor if you don't know the hunters. Any bad actors should be penalized. https://programs.iowadnr.gov/tip/PublicTIP/Step1

Changing the rules on deer drives won't get rid of the bad actors, instead they will change methods.

Top Bottom