Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NR party hunting to be eliminated

Alright, here we go:
I can see some confusion but under Chapter 94 “nonresident deer hunting”, it states specifically that possession must match the licensee.

Chapter 106 “Deer Hunting by Residents” doesn’t use the “possession” definition during gun seasons.

What they did was combine 94 & 106 to eliminate redundancy. The possession definition in 94 is the catch

Attachments

• AA24BE37-0D92-499F-A364-A1B31004AA81.jpeg
    AA24BE37-0D92-499F-A364-A1B31004AA81.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
  • F07EC4BD-2B63-4E57-826F-2B6BB123A17C.jpeg
    F07EC4BD-2B63-4E57-826F-2B6BB123A17C.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 42
Seven Twenty—I’m not following what you posted ? Where does it say a Nonresident cannot party hunt?

Seven Twenty—I’m not following what you posted ? Where does it say a Nonresident cannot party hunt?

Chapter 94 spelled out the rules for nonresidents and never gave them specific permission to share tags. It states “ possession shall mean that the deer is in the possession of the person whose license number matches the number of the transportation tag on the carcass of the deer.”

The previous version of chapter 106 was called the “resident“ rules and stated that “anyone“ present in the party may tag a deer. I’m guessing that because it was only stated that way under ”resident” rules, they are saying it only applies to residents.

I posted the screenshots above but would have to go back and pull up the links.

Last edited:
Like I posted before the DNR made public reference to Party hunting being 100% legal . It’s been that way for 40+ years.

I’ve called the DNR years back and conservation officers all said “Yes it’s legal but all hunters must participate in the hunt”

In other words .. Not be home on the couch !

Like I posted before the DNR made public reference to Party hunting being 100% legal . It’s been that way for 40+ years.

I’ve called the DNR years back and conservation officers all said “Yes it’s legal but all hunters must participate in the hunt”

In other words .. Not be home on the couch !

Nonresidents haven’t even been allowed to hunt deer in Iowa for 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, whether a with an valid NR Anterless tag, or with an NR Any Sex (Buck) Deer tag, can a NR hunt with resident hunters anymore?

Whether it’s making deer drives, or sitting in a blind on the same property?

Is the banned NR Party Hunting, the only physical act of tagging a deer a NR hunter shot?

Or is banned NR Party Hunting, now merely the act of hunting together, either in blinds on the same property, or making deer drives together?

Whether it’s a single NR hunter with a group of Resident Hunters, or a group of hunters that is made up solely of NR hunters?

OK, whether a with an valid NR Anterless tag, or with an NR Any Sex (Buck) Deer tag, can a NR hunt with resident hunters anymore?

Whether it’s making deer drives, or sitting in a blind on the same property?

Is the banned NR Party Hunting, the only physical act of tagging a deer a NR hunter shot?

Or is banned NR Party Hunting, now merely the act of hunting together, either in blinds on the same property, or making deer drives together?

Whether it’s a single NR hunter with a group of Resident Hunters, or a group of hunters that is made up solely of NR hunters?
Party hunting =\= Group hunting

Party hunting is defined as cross tagging, pooling the tags among the party of hunters. Non residents are now only allowed to use their own tag on their own harvest. Once they tag out, they are done shooting.

Group hunting is defined as hunting in a group, that is still 100% allowed.

There should have been public meetings on this, it doesn’t just affect Nonresidents. I would guess a fairly high percentage of the farms in Iowa have a Nonresident (possibly a former son, daughter, cousin, neighbor) that hunts with their group .

It’s a public relations nightmare and they honestly tried to just sneak it by in May? Iowa is a Red State but they are not acting like it. This should have been discussed for time period and then either tweeked or changed in 25 or 26.

There’s plenty of ways to tweek the language to help prevent any Nonresidents supposedly taking advantage of it.
I absolutely agree with this. Don't have that strong of a feeling on party hunting one way or the other. But to sneak this in presenting it as a rule clarification is shady in my opinion. I say no to big government in any form even if it serves an agenda I support. I also think the portion of the population that frequents this site would be a bit of an echo chamber against party hunting and not necessarily representative of the feelings of the state as a whole. Not a dig at anyone, but just saying this is a slippery slope that we resident land owners will no doubt be one the other side of one day if things like this are allowed to become common place.

I absolutely agree with this. Don't have that strong of a feeling on party hunting one way or the other. But to sneak this in presenting it as a rule clarification is shady in my opinion. I say no to big government in any form even if it serves an agenda I support. I also think the portion of the population that frequents this site would be a bit of an echo chamber against party hunting and not necessarily representative of the feelings of the state as a whole. Not a dig at anyone, but just saying this is a slippery slope that we resident land owners will no doubt be one the other side of one day if things like this are allowed to become common place.
agreed. give em an inch, they'll take a mile.

Talk about NR party hunting a few times being absolutely fine. Time stamps are approximately 2:39, 3:54 and 10:00. The guy teaching legal at the dnr academy must really mess this one up. Lol

Last edited:
It’s cut and dry in this video with Drury Brothers, you absolutely can’t argue any other way . The DNR interpretation of the law was NR & R party hunting was legal it’s mentioned 3 times in the video .

It also mentions the legislature enacted the law. Which would mean it would take legislation to change it !

It’s cut and dry in this video with Drury Brothers, you absolutely can’t argue any other way . The DNR interpretation of the law was NR & R party hunting was legal it’s mentioned 3 times in the video .

It also mentions the legislature enacted the law. Which would mean it would take legislation to change it !
I’m gonna say something- and I don’t really mean this as a smartass comment although it will seem it.
With this rule change I’m amazed on how much passion you guys are showing- and I hope you realize we need that same passion to fight the other special interest groups. And why we have such passion to fight crossbows. Once the door gets opened, things can get scary quick.
I don’t care either way for party hunting- they can still group hunt- that to me is what the argument has been it seems. Everyone likes the camaraderie. So it’s slightly alarming that there is such a fight to allow a non resident to shoot a buck on your resident tag.
I agree- if they were going to clean up regs- it should have happened before draws and in an open forum- but I don’t believe there will be any back peddling unfortunately

I have been wrong on many occasions on my posts in this very thread. “How, why, when, etc”. I have been told a variety of reasons & why & even those sources didn’t know 100%. Any anger (or if u happy about this) is misguided if it’s at other hunters, residents or lobbying groups. I empathize with those that are angry - at least in their reaction, emotions on the issue & how it wasn’t publicly debated. I have had same feelings, like I said before, when I woke up to: straight walls, late shed buck season, quota changes that took Deer harvest in HALF, etc etc. All of which were a far bigger deal to our resource than THIS. & even some other comments: this is a minor thing in life…. I am not trying to dismiss the issue (or any issue) …. But it is. Even if deer hunting went away - bigger things in life & the life after this. Can’t take the land or the deer with you.

The poll is interesting. Based on that and a survey of comments on social media, party hunting in general isn't supported by the masses. A large majority support support this clarification/change. A slightly lesser majority would like it eliminated for residents as well.

I’m gonna say something- and I don’t really mean this as a smartass comment although it will seem it.
With this rule change I’m amazed on how much passion you guys are showing- and I hope you realize we need that same passion to fight the other special interest groups. And why we have such passion to fight crossbows. Once the door gets opened, things can get scary quick.
I don’t care either way for party hunting- they can still group hunt- that to me is what the argument has been it seems. Everyone likes the camaraderie. So it’s slightly alarming that there is such a fight to allow a non resident to shoot a buck on your resident tag.
I agree- if they were going to clean up regs- it should have happened before draws and in an open forum- but I don’t believe there will be any back peddling unfortunately
I appreciate the passion on both sides. I’ve known Skip, Hillrunner, a few other guys for many years. Just remember that I greatly appreciate the effort to make Iowa great, I absolutely do .

Further restrictions on NR makes no sense to me. This is a huge deal for guys in certain zones. You guys had us at “Hello” with your recent lobbying efforts. This was terrible timing, not done right. Sneaky … all the above .

Remember we can bring that effort to Iowa with passion and $$$… but not with further restrictions!

Top Bottom