Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Roundup Ready Corn & Soybean Food Plot

Well, my newly renovated 4 row JD 7000 had one row go kaput, but I identified it early and adjusted. 2” of rain Sunday night and highs in the 80’s this week with sun ought to make this field really pop! Better than I hoped for considering it was my first time.
0b9a25116485d04492dd66b36b34d07d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a question though. If you zoom in, you can see that it is planted too thick on the end rows. I have looked at several planter manuals and the charts are the same. I set the sprockets at 22 Driver and 22 Driven. This should result in a population of 26,100 with approximate seed spacing of 8" according to the chart. As much as I try to convince my wife that is 8", those seeds are more like 4" at most. Thoughts? Is there a way to calibrate these manually? Like a drill?

I do have a question though. If you zoom in, you can see that it is planted too thick on the end rows. I have looked at several planter manuals and the charts are the same. I set the sprockets at 22 Driver and 22 Driven. This should result in a population of 26,100 with approximate seed spacing of 8" according to the chart. As much as I try to convince my wife that is 8", those seeds are more like 4" at most. Thoughts? Is there a way to calibrate these manually? Like a drill?
You can lower the planter on cement or a hard gravel driveway and pull it to see how far the spacing is and then change sprockets accordingly. If the tire sizes are changed, that can change spacing. I suspect for population being off that far that there is a sprocket somewhere that is not original. We use our 7000 for sweetcorn, foodplots, and fixing drownouts. We leave our population set the same for all. Think it's around 28k.

You can lower the planter on cement or a hard gravel driveway and pull it to see how far the spacing is and then change sprockets accordingly. If the tire sizes are changed, that can change spacing. I suspect for population being off that far that there is a sprocket somewhere that is not original. We use our 7000 for sweetcorn, foodplots, and fixing drownouts. We leave our population set the same for all. Think it's around 28k.
I did get new tires for it and they look different than the originals, but are at least similar in size. Could that have that much effect? Other than that everything "looks" like the parts diagram anyway. I'll try the drag it method. I have a year to get it figured out at least. :D

I have an Enlist Bean question. Just drilled into a field that was killed off all the way. When should I spray?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

yes, pull on concrete a set distance and start measuring and counting seeds. Thats what I did to get to 32,000 and have never touched since. It is spot on too.

yes, pull on concrete a set distance and start measuring and counting seeds. Thats what I did to get to 32,000 and have never touched since. It is spot on too.
Do you know what your seed spacing is at 32,000? I'm curious to estimate what my population really is. If you are on 30" rows as well, I could use the chart to see where I am at.

Do you know what your seed spacing is at 32,000? I'm curious to estimate what my population really is. If you are on 30" rows as well, I could use the chart to see where I am at.
You should be right at 6" spacing on seeds for 32k. Let me find a chart.

My spacing averages around 5”, maybe just under by a shade if anything. So definitely over 40,000. Now with my one row not working I had to adjust and overlap it every other turn. That is more like a 36” row. We’ll see what happens!

For those of you putting down 2,4D for burn down, don't you worry about the plant back time or not? I'm kind of a chicken sh*t so I don't usually take any chances on that kind of stuff.

I have an Enlist Bean question. Just drilled into a field that was killed off all the way. When should I spray?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
Sorry on delay … I would spray the second it’s dry…. Pre-emergents & post emergents since I’m sure you have had rain right? If so- u can get new weeds & get in front of other weeds that haven’t germinated as well. U put any pre’s down?
If not- since they are germinated beans- limits u a bit on what to spray but not bad at all. I’d run 2-3 groups of pre-emergents but that’s me. At bare bones…
post: enlist + gly then bare bones 1 pre: s-metolachlor (dual or brawl for example).
If it were mine…. I’d hit it with couple more pre’s & if u want me to list some more I sure can. Don’t wanna overwhelm with a novel here.

For those of you putting down 2,4D for burn down, don't you worry about the plant back time or not? I'm kind of a chicken sh*t so I don't usually take any chances on that kind of stuff.
What kinda beans? If enlist soybeans- no. I haven’t seen 2,4-d issues. To be super safe (and legal) - burn down with enlist 2,4-d. U fry it and then when planting enlist beans - there’s no delay what so ever of course.
If they are any other type of bean- ya- I’d check label …. for example, I THINK LV6 2,4-d, I think it’s around 16 oz per acre (maybe it’s 8, double check) is a 1 week planting delay. If non-enlist beans - go off labeled rate & for sure give a delay (a rain is preferred) then plant. Save a lot of hassle & worry - get enlist/E3 beans.

What kinda beans? If enlist soybeans- no. I haven’t seen 2,4-d issues. To be super safe (and legal) - burn down with enlist 2,4-d. U fry it and then when planting enlist beans - there’s no delay what so ever of course.
If they are any other type of bean- ya- I’d check label …. for example, I THINK LV6 2,4-d, I think it’s around 16 oz per acre (maybe it’s 8, double check) is a 1 week planting delay. If non-enlist beans - go off labeled rate & for sure give a delay (a rain is preferred) then plant. Save a lot of hassle & worry - get enlist/E3 beans.
Sorry I meant for 2,4-D on corn

My spacing averages around 5”, maybe just under by a shade if anything. So definitely over 40,000. Now with my one row not working I had to adjust and overlap it every other turn. That is more like a 36” row. We’ll see what happens!

It’ll be just fine. Most corn flexes pretty well depending on the hybrid. If u go too heavy for population- u get away with a lot more on good rich ground - or fertile bottom ground- which looks like u have. Junky dry clay u will have more issues. Just make sure you do not skimp on N. If N is really good through out season + all other nutrients done right & ur weed control & rain keeps up- u will be sitting GREAT.

Sorry I meant for 2,4-D on corn
I usually wait 5-7 days to be safe. Corn is less of an issue than beans as your rows should seal well not exposing seed directly to 2,4-d. 2” deep- a lot safer than beans. But yes, if I’d spray and wait a bit. That’s just me. I know some folks don’t but I personally do.

Top Bottom