Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I have a few spots- maybe a couple acres that greened up a little even after I killed them off in september- about 2 weeks later they had some green growth. If I do the March 15 to April 1st heavy duty Atrazine spraying (and regular amount of DUAL), you think it will kill the green stuff that sprouted up last fall after killing? (Any reason to add round-up?) Seem like dates and sticking with the Atrazine/dual will do the job OR do I need another approach on the patches with green??? thanks!!

*Other ideas include- adding round-up to spray, spray LATER with round-up (late April?) added to Atrazine/dual, spray atrazine/dual then spray round-up later OR do you think I'm fine with heavy atrazine and regular amount of dual sprayed in late march to April 1st as planned?

do I need another approach on the patches with green???

That's the stuff I prefer to go back and kill in October and yours is a perfect example of what happens Skip.

It depends...if the "green" was broadleaf weeds then atrazine will prevent it from coming up.

If however it was brome or fescue that did not get a complete kill then I would hit those spots with roundup asap when they green up again this spring.

Just keep a close eye it this spring and be observant, just like a farmer with his crops. There area always windows of oppurtunity to correct a problem if you check on things regularly.

Last edited:
Re: Switchgrass - time to frost seed

Just a reminder for those getting ready to frost seed switchgrass seed..it's VERY tiny seed and unlike other native grass isn't "fluffy"

Switchgrass seed is free flowing and no additives are needed to get it to flow thru the seeder.

Switchgrassseed1.jpg

I use a very small handheld lawn grass seeder or a bag seeder like this one

BagSpreader.jpg

An even better deal is to rent a no-till drill from your local county conservation board like this Truax drill I have rented from Davis County.

TruaxNo-tilldrill.jpg

No matter what you use, close everything down as if you had sugar in there...otherwise you will dump a lot of expensive seed in a very small area....

Here's another pic of Big Bluestem and Indiangrass that has been knocked flat by harsh winter weather

FlatBB.jpg

and Cave In Rock switchgrass in the same field still standing upright!

CIRupright.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wibohnt
My switch was planted in spring, I do not recall the exact date. I don't have any pictures of the field from last year and I never really looked close enough to see if I could see the rows of planted switchgrass. I am able to mow or spray the fields myself, I would need help burning as I have never done that. As the I looked at the field last year it certainly had its share of weeds but I would not say it was overgrown. I would think I could frost seed now with out worry of seed making it to the ground.

Here are some pics of the switch in question after one year, drilled into soybean stubble. I suspect that the seeding was not "frost seeded" in otherwords drilled in after cold weather perhaps in April or May.

The seed would not have been stratified by cold wet chill of late winter and most likely will not germinate until this spring.

The first pic shows the new seeding on the right (no switchgrass that I can see)and clover on the left.

NewSwitchgrassseedinonright.jpg

This is a closeup that shows, weeds/grass were not really that bad!

Firstyearswitchupclose.jpg

Just an overall view of the field.
Newswitchfirstyr.jpg

wibohnt recently frost seeded some additional switchgrass onto this field and is going to keep weeds clipped this year, so hopefully he'll have a good field of switchgrass there eventually!

This field shows lots of promise even though there is nothing there right now, simply because it isn't choked with a heavy infestation of brome or quake grass.

Last edited:
Thanks Dbltree for posting my photos. One correction in that first photo the Switchgrass is on the right(unmowed) the left is clover that was planted last year. I still plan to have the field sprayed with Atrazine at the beginning of April. If I do that would you still clip those old taller weeds you see in the photo? Also, there are several smaller portions of the field that do have heavier Brome. Would it make sense to spray that at the same time with Atrazine then come back in later April and hit anything greening up with Roundup?

Quote:
Switchgrass is on the right

Dah! I knew that too (I'll change it.. ;) )

I still plan to have the field sprayed with Atrazine at the beginning of April. If I do that would you still clip those old taller weeds you see in the photo?

Not unless you get some new weed growth that is to thick and suffucating...a few weeds won't hurt anything.

there are several smaller portions of the field that do have heavier Brome. Would it make sense to spray that at the same time with Atrazine then come back in later April and hit anything greening up with Roundup?

You bet! Brome is the real enemy! Kill that with roundup as soon as you feel it's greened up and actively growing

Last edited:
I have a stretch of switchgrass that is 30 yards X 1/2 mile and serves as a buffer along a creek. The creek is full of large full grown cottonwoods and the switchgrass stand has now starting to get out of hand with volunteer cottonwoods.

I decided to take on the effort of clearing these with a chainsaw as my labor is cheap. I spent about 6 hours with chainsaw in hand yesterday and actually can start to see a dent in it.

My plan is to get as many of these cut down by the end of March and then burn it. My NRCS rep says that if I burn regularly it should be enough to control the cottonwoods. I don't believe this switch has ever been burned and I just acquired the ground last year.

The majority of them are 1-3 inches in diameter with some pushing up to 8 inches. To try and get rid of them, I hinge cut about a 15 X 40 yard section of more cottonwoods just next to the switch and have added many more cottonwoods from the switch on top of this pile. I have also left many more just lay where they dropped in the switch and plan on just letting them burn, realizing I will not be happy with my self trying to pheasant hunt this.

Is a large pile of cut timber in a clearing along a creek beneficial for deer and other critters vs burning the pile? Should I be spraying the stumps after I cut them or will yearly burns keep them under control? Any thoughts on how else to tackle this project?

Thanks

I am seeding a plot this early spring with WSG that will contain a mix containing 2 lbs per ac. of switchgrass. From what I have read you can apply a light application of Journey. Someone told me I could apply 11 oz per acre with little affect on the switch grass and still get some weed control. Does that sound right?
Thanks in advance for your advise as I am new to WSG

I had put this in as a new topic and think I should have put this message here, sorry. new member.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Is a large pile of cut timber in a clearing along a creek beneficial for deer and other critters vs burning the pile? Should I be spraying the stumps after I cut them or will yearly burns keep them under control? Any thoughts on how else to tackle this project? </div></div>

I never burn brush piles but rather leave them to encourage birds and small game to use them as cover. Usually blackberries will grow up in the pile as well enhancing it for habitat.

Of course if you don't till around it, the pile will burn when you burn the switchgrass so you will have to deal with that problem if you want to save the pile or piles.

Sounds like you have a big job clearing it but it will be far greater habitat when you get the switchgrass rejuvenated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mercer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am seeding a plot this early spring with WSG that will contain a mix containing 2 lbs per ac. of switchgrass. From what I have read you can apply a light application of Journey. Someone told me I could apply 11 oz per acre with little affect on the switch grass and still get some weed control. Does that sound right?
</div></div>

Journey is a mix of roundup and Plateau so I'm not positive on the exact rate but you are right...low end rates will not affect switchgrss.

I have used Plateau at 4-6 ounces with no ill affects on switch seedings but normally it's 10-14 ounces for most native grass mixes.

Hello, Just joined so I could bombard dbltree with questions !!!
Really enjoy reading these threads and gaining lot's of info. Wish I would have known about this site two years ago when I planted about 30 acres in CRP grasses. Hopefully I submit this correctly (not too good with computers).
First question, Could I "topdress" the thin areas of my planting with CIR switch by frost seeding this spring? Still have about a foot of snow on the ground here in central Wisconsin. Would probably do as soon as the snow disappears. I want to create as much cover for deer, as there is plenty of ag fields in my neck of the country for the food. I do also put in a few food plots.
I do hope to put some strictly CIR areas in other areas as I have 18 acres of CRP that just came out from under contract. Will do that by your soybean/spray/frost seed the next year method.
Thanks again for all the knowledge/info given.
Tom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could I "topdress" the thin areas of my planting with CIR switch by frost seeding this spring? </div></div>

Sure...but is it in native warm season grasses now? Not cool seasons like brome (not sure what you meant by CRP grasses??)

I'm sorry, yes it is planted in big bluestem, little bluestem, indiangrass, canadian wild rye, switchgrass, along with some yellow cone flowers and blackeyed susans. The flowers and canadian wild rye dominate the planting. This will be it's 3rd growing season this year. I'm hoping the other grasses show up this year. I could find a liitle switch and indiangrass last fall but no bluestems.
I guess it would be best to burn this spring to stimulate the warm season grasses, so next question, could you frost seed the CIR and still burn or would that be dumb????????? Could seed this year and burn next I suppose????
My motive or intent is to get some real thick ares for cover. I would only overseed in a few of the thinner spots. One concern would be getting seed to ground contact, but I think the planting is thin enough yet at this stage. The other concern would be will it get enough sun????????

The wildrye is a short term nurse crop so to speak and it will eventually give way to the tallgrasses.

I would frost seed CIR and then clip the heavy forbs rather then burn this year.

Burning is better when dealing with established grasses with well established deep root systems in which burning will clear the heavy thatch and residue.

The switchgrass seed is very tiny and will easily make it's way to the soil surface with a few heavy rains or late snows...so no worries there.

Just clip it 8-12" high in June this year to allow the switch some sunlight and that should also allow the BB to take off. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks again. You got me "hooked" on the benefits of the Cave-in-Rock switchgrass.
One last question, would you seed at that 5-6# per acre rate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you seed at that 5-6# per acre rate? </div></div>

For whitetail cover I would.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Will Roundup kill native grasses like Switch? How about Select...will that kill native grasses and swiTch? Somebody asked me today and I know weeds will not be killed by Select but I "assumed" switch would die being a "grass." Foxtail on the other hand WOULDn't be affected by select? If anybody can help I'd appreciate it as now I've confused myself /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Roundup will kill just about anything and everything that is green and growing including switchgrass. Early in the spring while switchgrass and other native warm season grasses are dormant, then roundup as no effect on them.

Once they green up and start sending out new growth, roundup will kill it deader then a doornail! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Select is a grass selective herbicide that will easily kill ALL native grasses (including switchgrass) and any other type of grass.

Foxtail is an annual grass that Select will easily kill as you can see in my clover, alfalfa and brassic threads where I used Select last summer.

2-4D is a broadleaf herbicide that can be safely used on switchgrass (and other native grasses) once they have reached the 3-4 leaf stage. 2-4D will however kill all the forbs that might be in a native grass planting (such as partridge pea for instance)

It's nearly impossible so far as I know to kill "grasses in grasses", so foxtail, brome or fescue that competes with switchgrass could only be controlled by late season burns or prior to emergence with residual herbicides like atrazine. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Decision time. I found this site while researching switchgrass and found it all very useful. From my reading so far it would seem frost seeding would be the most popular/successful method of planting. I took out some old terraces and and I'm converting to buffers in my fields plus around my field borders. I need to finish the prep work, the cat work was completed just at freezing last fall. My question is do I work on my site prep and weed control this summer and then frost seed next winter or go ahead do my prep work and seed this spring. Any advice would be welcome

Top Bottom