Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Yep, I want more pockets in it this time with some more diversity to open it up a little more. My first planting was 10#/acre CIR and it got way to think for the deer IMO. I am gonna do 6# CIR and 2# kanlow this time. Wanted to add something else but if I can't spray it and leave it go its not gonna work for me. I don't have time to mow it the first year to get it established.

If u want some diversity & not as thick- id do a plateau tolerant mix with some heavy forbs. Indian, can do BB but don't have to and then all the forbs u like in the plateau tolerant category. Since u don't have time to mow- this is perfect. Spray and walk away if u effectively killed all off in advance and time things right. Very similar to the situation with atrazine & switchgrass planting & spraying. I just finished drilling plateau tolerant mixes late due to all this rain. I think I had about 10 forbs, Indian and big blue.

Yes sir. What I do is this (there's several ways to attack this, really is)...
I mow in September. Around October on a warm day I pound it (u don't really need all this but I like nuking things)- 2-3 quarts Roundup with ammonium sulfate and crop oil. Labeled rate of 2,4-d and finally I will add about 4-5 oz of plateau. It destroys everything. If it doesn't - I spot spray. I had one problem with a poor kill a few yrs ago (one poor kill outta probably 20-30 that worked great) - I don't know if it was sprayer issue, weather, herbicides- I don't know. But u need to inspect all is roasted and spot spray areas that come back at all or missed. Spring.... Yep- round up to kill anything that comes up. Plateau (panoramic, same thing) at same time. Panoramic is a low use herbicide so depending on what planting- 5-12 oz per acre. I go heavier due to longer control but certain forbs are limited to 6-8 in some cases. If done correctly- u should not need to mow. Remember- nothing is perfect though. I sprayed my corn for example with a one-time treatment & with all this moisture the weeds required a rescue spraying. For natives- the equivilent rescue would be forced to mow probably once in that yr or there's some post emergence I believe some do with plateau. Most the time u can in fact walk away though.

Thinning switch I did not know either. That explains a small patch I have that neither spray or fire would improve it. Time for more seed. Maybe with BB and some indian. Always something to learn.

This is the thin patch of cave-in-rock I was talking about. I will probably spray some oust in the bald spots by hand this summer and try to frost seed some more late winter. Think it will work?

picture.php

I'd go very light with oust. Oust still spooks me but if u r very careful and use very light use- ok. On bottom ground or ground that doesn't drain well- I would not use oust. Bald spots- u got a million options....
Super light oust, roundup and I'd just mix in atrazine as it will also keep weeds at bay and carry over to next yr which is fine. Basically- anything to get those areAs "clean" for when u spray next spring. Next spring u will want to be spraying as bare & clean ground as possible with Round up and atrazine. Just because I'm Not a huge oust fan (use it but lightly)- I personally would burn it down a few times with Roundup, 2,4-d, atrazine and I'd probably add another residual that will be long gone by spring. If well drained ground- .25-.5 oz oust. I'd probabably lean towards dual or 2-6 oz of plateau this season. I'd pry do 2 sprayings. Last one in sept or oct and that would only include roundup, atrazine & 2,4-d. All of what u spray- u want gone by April next yr or so. (All of these & rates will be) Only thing u want carry over that lasts into next year is atrazine. U are gonna add more in spring too.

Oust spooks me also but I thought it might be gone by next spring. I have plateau also so may go that route. Thanks

Any ideas on how this moisture and cool spring is going to effect establishment plantings this year. Have not had a chance to look at mine. June we had over 20 inches of rain..

update- 2nd year switch I sprayed with 6 oz platea an acre this spring , exploded and looks great.

New planting this year just atrazine and normal steps looks like a disaster I guess maybe all the rain hurt the atrazine from being effective.. See what next year Brings...

This is my 2nd year CIR, 1st year thought it was lost foxtail very bad . I mowed 2 times year 1. I burned this March to remove heavy thatch and added atrazine. I followed up 6oz Panoramic mid April after cool seasons had emerged.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am pretty happy with this stand..

Last edited:
Here are another Pictures I don't believe it's foxtail.. But I could be wrong.

picture.php

Last edited:
There are a lot of weeds that fall under the umbrella of "foxtail". That one certainly looks like a pigeon grass to me. Call it what you wish, it definitely is not Canada wild rye.

Ok , Thanks guys .. Hopefully I can get it under control net season it choked a first year stand out pretty good. Thanks

I had similar happen to my field. I was planning on hitting it with atrazine and roundup in early April at first green up.

I had a similar problem last year on an 11 acre frost seed med planting. Half of the field looked awesome. Other half looked like I planted foxtail. Dbltree told me not to worry as usually foxtail is worse the first year. I didn't do anything to it this spring. Just gave it time. There wasn't hardly any foxtail in it at all this year and the switch is really starting to fill in nicely.

Top Bottom