Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

In SE Iowa would frost seeded switchgrass already have germinated this spring? Back in February i frost seeded cave in rock and one other (cannot recall but maybe kanlow) into bean stubble. I sprayed roundup about 3-4 weeks ago and i dont see any signs of anything coming. Wondering if it is still too early or if it was already popping up and i killed it. Doesn’t seem like it has been warm enough but a buddy thinks his is starting to show.
In my experience no. Could easily be in June before you see any switch

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

In SE Iowa would frost seeded switchgrass already have germinated this spring? Back in February i frost seeded cave in rock and one other (cannot recall but maybe kanlow) into bean stubble. I sprayed roundup about 3-4 weeks ago and i dont see any signs of anything coming. Wondering if it is still too early or if it was already popping up and i killed it. Doesn’t seem like it has been warm enough but a buddy thinks his is starting to show.
Most likely not yet. Cooler soil temps for sure this season. “Wet & hot” springs will make it come out quicker. I sure haven’t seen that. So- I’d plan on late. As in, late June into early July. Patience is needed & nothing wrong with that. I’ve got some CIR stands that came up around June/July that are fantastic many years later.
*Austins post popped up after I submitted. Spot on!!!

Thanks guys, was just wondering if i should drill some into it or just let it be. Sounds like let it be
U didn’t have a failure of germination. That much I can tell u for sure! What rate per acre did u seed?
If u wanted to seed more- it can’t “hurt”. It’s very likely not necessary. Only thing I might do is spray simazine or atrazine with crop oil &/or ammonium sulfate.

• Deleted by hillrunner
Show…
Not sure how many lb/ac. I used a bag seeder and did CIR while walking north/south and other type walking east/west. I want this to be good bedding area and thinking i want it a bit weedy rather than clean switch so wasnt going to do atrazine. Thought i would mow it twice this year and then let it go. What do you think about that strategy for bedding?

Not sure how many lb/ac. I used a bag seeder and did CIR while walking north/south and other type walking east/west. I want this to be good bedding area and thinking i want it a bit weedy rather than clean switch so wasnt going to do atrazine. Thought i would mow it twice this year and then let it go. What do you think about that strategy for bedding?
Think you’re fine. I would do a small amount of atrazine as switch doesn’t like competition. But yes- if u clip it- be just fine. 3 clips at most is guess. Don’t let it get too out of hand where clippings will smother new switch plants. Last clipping - maybe early august-ish.

Broadleaf plants wont be your issue as much as Foxtail will be. Make sure you take care of that. You can spray quinclorac to kill the foxtail.

Called feller at Great Plains this morning and got my hands on this rate sheet for switchgrass if you happen to be drilling with a 606NT
Switchgrass small seeds box (002).jpg

This is a 3rd year stand of switch grass. I have over seeded it after year 1 and year 2. Are the little shoots coming up switch?
Getting real antsy to understand if I have good switch coming up or foxtail. The apps on my phones are unable to identify them consistently.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpeg
    IMG_0974.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Deleted by Jbohn
  • Reason: Not suited to answer
Show…
I am wondering if anyone has used Grazon or duracor to clean up switchgrass....

Yes, I use grazon regularly. It's far more affective than 24d on bigger targets. Doesn't affect the switch at all that I can see. It does burn cool season grass a little but doesn't kill it.

Top Bottom