Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Would really appreciate some opinion.
Sprayed Round-up at 2qt last fall and again in april
2qts atrazine in April.
Drilled Big Rock at 10.8 lbs/ac on May 5
Good rains , mild to mod heat until now in East central SD
The switch I find is 2-4 leaf stage...I suspect more is coming..very difficult to find
Should hold our for another 2-3 wks then mow above switch and then spray quinclorac or...
Wait another week an then spray quinclorac ...hesitant to throw much 24D in the mix.

Thanks for your thoughts
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5280.jpg
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5280.jpg

Wait until it is at least a foot tall and mow once. From mid July to mid August switch will grow faster than about anything else. Adjust your plans accordingly.
Biggest concern at this point is that you drilled and there aren't any visible lines, your weed control wasn't good enough. Good news is I've had several stands look like this and the switch always prevails.

How would you suggest managing thistles in year two RC big rock switch? Was thinking 2-4D. This switch was planted last July and is waist tall.
a86cf1148431d8a9bdfaf4abdd86ab18.jpg

9e80e9b4e1c592da460e56f7315f5e2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clopyralid (thistle down, Stinger, sonora) will target thistles.

Otherwise 2,4-D and dicamba (weedmaster) will kill them and other broadleafs.

Spot spraying will be best no matter which chemical used.

Might be better off to chop them down with a weed whip or shovel and treat them next year when they're younger, IMO.

Duracor as I understand it is t very safe to spray...nothing is without risk..always use precautions...not like atrazine and some others. The smell of 24d alone will make me nauseated. Duracor has very little odor.

Looking for general consensus with all the trials that have taken place with success.

I’ll be running a no till next week. Just to make sure, spray with simizine and gly together? What’s your best ratio for the two? Ground was sprayed 2.5 weeks ago with gly. Also for screening purposes how many pounds per acre for RC big rock?

Also ideal planting depth consensus.
Together. Depends on weeds…. Right now I’ll throw u the worst case…. 3-4 QTs gly if u have nasty, tall or hard to kill weeds. Crop oil &/or ammonium Sulfate (probably oil if had to choose) & 3-4 QTs of simazine. That’s what I’d do if I ran those herbicides
Switch generally gonna be around the 8 lbs mark. Could do lower or more, not a big deal.
Depth is HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE!!!!! So many failures due to: TOO DEEP!!!!! Just barely in there. Like 1/8” to maybe 1/4”. Some on top. Press wheels pack the rows & press seed against dirt. I’ve seen way too many drill jobs create trenches or shove the seed 1”+ down. Don’t do that!! Even if a guy has to manually control the depth with hydraulics- drop drill down and raise it back up so barely getting in there. Many drills u can set right but sometimes using hydraulics to barely get it in is needed. Why my favorite drill for switch is a minimal till drill- a drill without no till coulters.

I’ve got some duracor coming!!!!!!! On Canadian thistles….. I’m gonna run some trials with some mixes…. Duracor, triclopyr, oust, tordon, etc.

Together. Depends on weeds…. Right now I’ll throw u the worst case…. 3-4 QTs gly if u have nasty, tall or hard to kill weeds. Crop oil &/or ammonium Sulfate (probably oil if had to choose) & 3-4 QTs of simazine. That’s what I’d do if I ran those herbicides
Switch generally gonna be around the 8 lbs mark. Could do lower or more, not a big deal.
Depth is HUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE!!!!! So many failures due to: TOO DEEP!!!!! Just barely in there. Like 1/8” to maybe 1/4”. Some on top. Press wheels pack the rows & press seed against dirt. I’ve seen way too many drill jobs create trenches or shove the seed 1”+ down. Don’t do that!! Even if a guy has to manually control the depth with hydraulics- drop drill down and raise it back up so barely getting in there. Many drills u can set right but sometimes using hydraulics to barely get it in is needed. Why my favorite drill for switch is a minimal till drill- a drill without no till coulters.
Well, Murphy struck again, no hydrolic on my kabota so drill is not gonna work.

Would u reccomend a broadcast and pack or should I just stand by till frost seed time?

Well, Murphy struck again, no hydrolic on my kabota so drill is not gonna work.

Would u reccomend a broadcast and pack or should I just stand by till frost seed time?
Broadcast & plant be just fine!!! Or a harrow. Or both. Or, a packer, broadcast & packer again. So many ways to do this!!!!

What's everyone seeing height wise at the end of the first year with RC Big Rock? Hoping to get at least 3' or so on upland ground.

All my second year is RWW (Alamo). End of first year I only got about 18" or so..

What's everyone seeing height wise at the end of the first year with RC Big Rock? Hoping to get at least 3' or so on upland ground.

All my second year is RWW (Alamo). End of first year I only got about 18" or so..
I got 3' last year on Big Rock planted AUGUST 1. On good soils with good prep/ care guys have been getting 6' year 1 for spring planted stuff.

Switchgrass height has a very strong correlation with soil quality.

Top Bottom