Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Changing the crossbow season?

Well crap. I don't know how many times I have written a lengthy response to this only to delete it. All you can do is fight the fight whether you are for it or against it.

Fishbonker said:
What hunting has become is anything for a buck (money or animal). It is about product placement, it is about hype, it is about beating your chest. Clearly not all hunters are like that, but that is the direction, in my opinion, that hunting is moving.

I can agree with that. I'm all for innovation, but I'm highly skeptical of when we can already call the name and changes to next years Mathews "Chill XT" for example.

Well crap. I don't know how many times I have written a lengthy response to this only to delete it. All you can do is fight the fight whether you are for it or against it.

I did the same thing. When I was typing it, it sounded good, but when I went back and re read it, it sounded retarded.

As for now, I'm pretty neutral on the subject. If they were legal, I would probably go buy one for my wife and kids to use during archery season. If they are not legal, then I won't.

Nanny, so you would like your wife and kids to hunt the archery season, but using a compound is out of the question for them? Can I ask why?

Nanny, so you would like your wife and kids to hunt the archery season, but using a compound is out of the question for them? Can I ask why?

Nope, happy to discuss. My wife is getting into archery, I'm going to buy her, her first bow this year. My little girl is quite a ways away from shooting a bow with enough lb's to kill a deer. A cross bow would be easier for my little one and my wife to handle. That's it. Just because it would be easier for me to get them in the outdoors with that weapon. If they are never legal, I'm ok with it. It would be one of those decisions that I would not encourage not discourage, as I know there will be positives and negatives that come with it.

Back to my wife and archery, we will be confined to a ground blind with her and her bow. She is not fond of heights at all, and I do not think she is capable sitting in a elevated position and drawing a bow and making a leathal shot on a whitetail. Now, I have killed quite a few whitetails out of a ground blind with archery, and I don't think she will have any problems as long as they are close (15 yards and under). But a crossbow would make it easier. Simple as that.

Like I said, I'm neither for nor against it. If it passes, I will use it. If it doesn't, no sweat off my brow. She also likes the early muzz season. Only thing I have against that is, that can be a busy time of year for both of us, and the last 2 years, I forgot to get her a tag on time. Thought of it a couple days after the tag sales started, and they were gone. With archery, I can buy her a tag the day she is able to go hunt.

I'm going to jump in and say a couple of things:

1. I have been bow hunting scince the late 60's seen the same thing when compounds came out and were gaining in popularity now look at today compounds are capable of killing deer at 100+ yrds but that is a total diff discussion.

2. Most of the posts that feel a crossbow is not a bow I can say from experience that a crossbow can shoot 100 yrds also but; a big but; they have no kennetic energy past 40 yrds. For example my old compound bow had 161 ft lbs of kennetic energy where the cross bow I use now has 67 ft lbs.
I would like to see everyone that is against the crossbow hunt with one for a year then say what they think about them. I bet they would feel different. Just my two cents.

Most of you guys remarks and reasons to keep crossbows out, well, you make me sick. Im ashamed of the selfish reasoning and the jelousy that goes on here. Before you respond with a deer management theory or a public lands too crowded response, dont bother, everyone can see through you.

Most of you guys remarks and reasons to keep crossbows out, well, you make me sick. Im ashamed of the selfish reasoning and the jelousy that goes on here. Before you respond with a deer management theory or a public lands too crowded response, dont bother, everyone can see through you.

10-4 :thrwrck:

Just curious. You guys that support changing the status quo and allowing crossbows, are there any other rule changes you would like to see concerning seasons' dates, weapons, etc.?

Even though I don't want to keep perpetuating this topic and I am qualified with an old man arthritic permit to use a crossbow next year, I would ask for some clarification. Every thing that I find defines archery as a bow shooting an arrow at a target. A bow consists of two limbs with a riser or handle between them with the ends of the limbs connected with a bow string. The bow is drawn to store energy in the limbs, which is then transferred to the arrow upon release of the string. An arrow consists of a shaft of wood or aluminum or carbon fibers with a point or head and a nock that is positioned on or against the string to aid the energy transfer from the bow. This definition holds for either a long bow, a recurve, a compound bow, or a cross bow. All of these shoot an arrow by definition,from a string that is holding reserved energy from bow limbs. All of these types of bows can be equipped with a variety of sighting aids, mechanical draw type locks, and a mechanized trigger assembly to aid in firing the arrow. The only difference between all of these would be the stock on the cross bow which could also be adapted to a draw lock on a compound bow with little engineering prowess.

Crossbows have been around since the 5th or 6th century BC. There have been examples of crossbows found in China dating back that far, and in Middle Europe, and with the Crusaders, and in every war up until the common use of gun powder. Crossbows aren't arrow guns, because that would mean by definition a gun using gunpowder. The crossbow that I just purchased is a simple recurve design very much like the ones used by those Crusaders. This type of technology is several thousand years old, unlike the technology of the modern compound bow that is only 50 or so years old. You draw the string to a stop that is controlled by a mechanical trigger (release aid) and the limbs are held in stress storing energy until an bolt (arrow) is placed against the string and released by the trigger (release aid) to fly down range and strike a target. I use the same arrow shafts that you do and a fixed bladed broad head ( none of that new fangled mechanical head stuff for me) and still need to get within a reasonable range, probably 30 yards or less in order to make a clean and ethical killing shot on what ever game I am hunting, just like you must. How does that make either me or my equipment unworthy of your acceptance? Would it be better if I were to lay on my side to shoot so that the BOW limbs were vertical rather than horizontal? If that is all it takes I can work on that in order to win you all over!:way:

Bowmaker, I dont know why you feel the need for acceptance from anyone other than your own consious. You should shoot what you want and not worry about winning anyone over. If you are in the woods enjoying nature and life in general, what the heck do you care if others think you are unworthy. MOST AGAINST THIS DONT WANT YOU IN THE WOODS SHOOTING THEIR BIG BUCK. ITS THEIRS AND THEY WOULD JUST AS SOON SEE HIM DIE OF OLD AGE IF THEY CANT HARVEST HIM THEMSELVES!!!!!MY .02 worth.

Just curious. You guys that support changing the status quo and allowing crossbows, are there any other rule changes you would like to see concerning seasons' dates, weapons, etc.?

Sure. The late antlerless season. Why not make it a 3 day deal instead of 2 weeks? We've had since October 1, 4 different seasons with different weapons to shoot deer, why do we need another 2 weeks of anlterless only? Why not just extend each shotgun season by 1 day, and the late ML season by 1 day, and have the last day antlerless only.

Nanny, I personally dont have any problem with that but take it a step further. Start shotgun season a week earlier. Last week in Nov. Start second season first week in Dec. Start late muzzy season on the following monday for 2 weeks and let antlerless only have the last week. Now sit back and listen to the bowhunters gasp. Im a bowhunter but sick of hearing how we should do away with antlerless season. By my theory all seasons would be over by the end of Dec. and this seems to be what the majority want.

Bowmaker, I dont know why you feel the need for acceptance from anyone other than your own consious. You should shoot what you want and not worry about winning anyone over. If you are in the woods enjoying nature and life in general, what the heck do you care if others think you are unworthy. MOST AGAINST THIS DONT WANT YOU IN THE WOODS SHOOTING THEIR BIG BUCK. ITS THEIRS AND THEY WOULD JUST AS SOON SEE HIM DIE OF OLD AGE IF THEY CANT HARVEST HIM THEMSELVES!!!!!MY .02 worth.

That surly can't be the reason, because they are already MY deer because it is MY land that I hunt.:rolleyes: I don't really need their acceptance for myself because I am already legal, but there might be other hunters who would enjoy being in the wood enjoying nature who don't shoot a compound bow now but just might take a look at trying a crossbow if it were legal for them. I am not in this world alone and relay on the help of others every day so I need to also help others any way I can. The big C word can really change your out look on life!

The Dachau reference was a bit out there and I apologize to any one I may have offended. Perhaps I made the oft fatal blunder of underestimating the audience. I was merely try to say don’t give in to what some may see as inevitable.
Perhaps Winston Churchill’s quote would have been more apt: “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never -- in nothing, great or small, large or petty -- never give in….”
The first time I remember seeing this quote it was on a small sign on the entrance to the tub room in a burn unit. Not that this is germane to the issue at hand, but it has stuck with me ever since. The courage of the human spirit remarkable.
So Crockett, what are you trying to say? Perhaps it is obvious to some but not me. Help a guy out and try to explain your position on nonarchery equipment in archery only season. What is obvious is your disdain for all things IBA which is OK. I get that, but I’m not following much of anything else.

NO Crossbows in the archery season!!!!!!! :way: Clear enuff???? As far as the IBA goes!! My disdaine is not total! The fact is, If I think they are going in a direction I don't like! I'll let you know it!! I'll also will let them know it if I think their board members are making decisions for me on what.."THEY LIKE" ! Or cause they think they are gods gift to bowhunters!! I don't have to be on the board my friend!! That'
s my money and my season your making decisions on!!! Can you follow that?????

Top Bottom